ABS light

Old 03-06-03, 04:11 AM
blackaley
Visiting Guest
ABS light

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with rear anti-lock brakes. It has a 2.3l engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. My problem is that the ABS light comes on at random times. It does not flicker, but stays on for a few minutes before going out. The "regular" brake light never comes on and the brake fluid level is fine. I have checked for brake leaks and found none. The brake pads are good and the tires are the correct size and are relatively new. What causes the light to come on?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-03, 09:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Failure in the ABS system which requires the proper scan tool, service procedures and know-how to properly repair. Suggest you let a shop handle it unless you have the proper equipment to do the job.

Old 03-06-03, 11:10 AM
mikatrex
Visiting Guest
my 91 V6 5spd had the same problem when it was only 4 or so years old. It turned out to by a poor connection due to poor design at the sensor. It is located at the rear differential, cleaning the contacts did help it. I think there was a TSB on this too. check alldata.com for that to be sure.

Old 03-08-03, 12:29 AM
Ford jumped back and forth between a tone ring setup and others for ABS and speed sensor. The tone ring set up was common on some of the smaller for rear ends. If it the tone ring set up I would start by inspecting it to see if it looks worn or the cable appears damaged or any other thing out of the ordinary.