93 Geo LSI won't start

Old 03-06-03, 09:12 PM
Douglas Christi
Visiting Guest
93 Geo LSI won't start

My son has a 93 Geo LSI that won't start even though it has spark and fuel (Apparently) He lives five hours from me -college- and I'm trying to gather some thoughts before making the drive.
Two plugs are firing blue, one is yellow. Engine won't fire even with fuel poured in manually. New plugs, starter since problem started.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-03, 11:43 PM
Are you sure it has fuel and spark? How did you test for spark? Is the check engine light on? Did you try to get any codes off of it? When you say it will not start do you mean it won’t turn over or it will crank but not fire?

Old 03-07-03, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the links and posts below.

Old 03-07-03, 06:05 AM
Douglas Christi
Visiting Guest
When he replaced the plugs he watched the fire - two fired blue, one fired yellow. The old starter was not turning the engine over very fast, therefore the new starter.
Squirt fuel into the cylinder = fuel available.
This is all told to me, I haven't seen anything myself, yet. I'm inclined to think the fuel pump has gone or the timing belt, but there is no popping through the intake or exhaust and it won't fire even with fuel. Evil magic?

Old 03-07-03, 07:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Once again, start with the basics first. You'll spend more than it's worth and not solve the problem otherwise. Don't assume till you check it for yourself.

Old 03-10-03, 06:34 AM
Douglas Christi
Visiting Guest
Talking

Got back from collegetown last nite, Geo is now running. Here's what happened - rechecked all of the BASICS, they were just as my son had said. (trained him myself!) I also ran a compression test, that was ok. Tested the fuel pump and flow, then used the collected fuel to re-try the "fuel down the throttle body" routine. No go. Evil magic. Went to the gas station and got some premium fuel, tried that down the throttle body and voila! fire in the hole. I disconnected the fuel pump relay, put the fuel fitting back on the throttle body then poured a bit more in. When the engine caught I plugged the pump back in. The engine stuttered, then kept running, so I put the rest of the premium in the tank along with some dry-gas and octane booster, ran the car around for a half hour or so and all is well. Its been a while since I've seen bad gas, but it still happens, double tough if you're a pizza delivery guy. File this under "when nothing else makes sense"

Old 03-10-03, 06:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There you go .

Old 03-11-03, 02:07 AM
LOL, been quite some time sense i have seen that myself.

Search this Thread