Headlights on = Speedometer Failure

Old 03-07-03, 05:44 PM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
Headlights on = Speedometer Failure

1991 Olds 88 Royale Brm, 4 dr, 3.8L, AT, Auto Air

When the headlights are turned on both turn signal indicators and high beams indicator light up (neither function actually being used at the time) and the speedometer will not function.

When I dim the interior lights completely to the "off" position the speedometer will begin to work again. When I turn on the brights, the high beam indicator turns off. When I use the turn signals, the respective indicator light works like normal. This problem began as a rarity but now occurs more frequently. Fuses are ok. Could it be a stuck relay?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-03, 08:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure all bulbs are good, in the right way, and are of the right type. Also check the sockets for corrosion or loose wires/grounds. This is the first place to check. If any look questionable, pitch them.

Likely a short or bad switch in the column as well.

Old 03-08-03, 06:36 AM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
Is there anything else I can look for while I have the dash torn apart, i.e. what is the next thing to look for if the bulbs, sockets, and wires appear to be functional and grounded?

Old 03-09-03, 07:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Why on God's green earth would you tear the dash apart? Check the simple stuff first! That is usually what it is.

Old 03-09-03, 09:32 AM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
I didn't mean torn apart literally, but there is a certain level of removal necessary to get to the lights, sockets and wires behind the dash.

Old 03-09-03, 10:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No! Check your external bulbs that they are the right type, not burned out, or in backward. All of those conditions will cause the problem you are having.