Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

turn signals

Visiting Guest

03-07-03, 06:38 PM   #1  
mlea36
turn signals

We recently purchased a 1996 Ford Taurus and the turn signals and the emergency flashers don't work. we are stumped. We were told several different options to look for such as the flasher. However, we are unable to locate the flasher. We were also told that it could be fuses or the electrical switch in the steering column. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-07-03, 08:24 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If both the turn signals and flashers are out, I would be looking for a bad turn signal/column switch.

Common Ford failure item.

Visiting Guest

03-07-03, 11:08 PM   #3  
SpiderGear
Check the fuse with a 12-volt tester/etc. to make sure it's good. Or just replace that fuse. If it is good, then locate the flashers. Cheapest route first and helps to narrow down the problem!!

Good Luck!!

03-08-03, 01:50 AM   #4  
I agree that its most likely the column switch that is out if itís a total failure. But I would start with testing the fuse first. If the care is air bag equipped I would be very cautious about tearing in to the column to repair it yourself. Cross or ground the air bag wires and BOOM, they hurt and you donít want to go there. Tearing into the steering column on an air bag equipped vehicle is one of the projects I better left to certified technicians. The early ones are very easy to set off on accident, trust me I have done it and see other technicians do it do. In fact it happened so often at first that we had a bet on the next person to do it. I just want you to be safe. No need for a turn signal to trun into a trip to the hospital.

Search this Thread