Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Weight of a 6 cyl engine

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 07:47 AM   #1  
Mosey
Weight of a 6 cyl engine

Does anyone know how much a I-6 engine weighs? I'm trying to get an idea of how much more a 350 V-8 weighs compared to a 258 I-6 Jeep engine, counting the intake and exhaust manifolds. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 10:07 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Depends on the engine, with and without accessories, etc.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 10:51 AM   #3  
Mosey
It's an I-6 258 stock engine in a 78 Jeep CJ-5. I want to pull it out for a rebuild. I plan to pull it out with the intake and exhaust manifolds on and the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel on. The reason I asked about how it compares to a 350 (Chevy) is because I was told those weigh about 600 lbs (but I don't know what parts that weight includes), so I can get a ball park figure. I just want to know how much weight I'm dealing with so I can decide if my garage beams need to be reinforced first. When I was a kid growing up we pulled engines under a big tree, but I'd prefer to work inside now!

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 12:25 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Garage beam????? Steel or wood?????
For your own safety, get the proper equipment.

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 01:33 PM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree. Engine cranes are cheap. Sears among others have them for a reasonable price.. That is the proper and only way to pull an engine. It is also the safest and easiest.

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 04:13 PM   #6  
fuller911
Using a tree is very ghettofabulous. Humans and their ingenuity.

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 08:13 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Very ghetto-dangerous and not worth the risk!

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 09:07 PM   #8  
AVGJOE35
We even have a Harbor tools in Cincy very reasonable engine hoists. Funny thing though on a busy street here in someones yard they pulled the engine out of S10 Blazer by tree branch last summer and it's still hanging there.

03-11-03, 12:13 AM   #9  
Go ahead and pic up and engine hoist you will not regret it. If you are going to do the rebuild all yourself, I would get a free standing engine stand to. A 2x4 or a 2x6 will NOT hold, you donít want to go there. If you do a lot of work like this you might look in to getting a roof mounted hoist. They are put in on metal frames and can hoist and move very heavy thing around your garage. I like this because you do not have to have help to move large parts. I also use it to load things in the back of my truck, it nice to be able to load an engine or 82 inch dozer blade with out any help.

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 06:12 AM   #10  
Mosey
I appreciate all the advice and I will be careful. As for the tree, have you guys ever heard the term "Shade tree mechanic"? There are still a few of us out there, but due to the new electronic controls our numbers are dwindling!

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 09:30 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Lol. That's for WORKING under a shady tree, not using it to lift an engine .

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 11:40 AM   #12  
Mosey
"Lol. That's for WORKING under a shady tree, not using it to lift an engine"

I disagree. It could mean both or either. Not that it really matters, since it's pretty much history anyway!

03-12-03, 12:44 AM   #13  
I donít think the days are over yet. You just have to buy a code reader/ programmer, lap top and a multi-meter.

Visiting Guest

03-12-03, 03:31 AM   #14  
Joe_F
I disagree also. I work on all my own stuff. It takes as noted, a bit of an investment now. That separates the guys with three tools in their home toolbox versus those of us that want to tackle whatever comes our way .

I am always buying tools and items I need, planning well ahead in advance. I buy good quality used items at yard sales and the like to save money. I find things on the internet that I deal with the seller, etc. I exchange stuff with friends. I sell on Ebay to make extra cash to buy for things.

You can do it, it's just that guys with 3 tools in their toolbox won't cut it anymore. You also have to be willing to spend money on the most important tool---service information.

That is the BEST tool in your toolbox!

Search this Thread