Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

automotive battery isolaters

Visiting Guest

03-10-03, 02:06 PM   #1  
RichO
automotive battery isolaters

Hello

I'm interested in building my own isolator for use in a duel battery system.What I'm trying to find out is what size/type of diodes to utilize.Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links

03-11-03, 01:16 AM   #2  
Diode setups are going the way of the dinosaur. Everything is going to solid state devices. Weather this is good or bad has yet to bee seen. We use hellroaring components for dual and triple battery setups at work and have not had any fail yet. But, we have only been using them for about a year now, so itís really to early to tell about long term dependability. But so far I have been very impressed with them. I think the more options a person has the better the chances of one of them being right.

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 05:40 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Try JC Whitney and other automotive online retailers---even truck specialty catalogs. They likely have the needed components for a dual battery setup.

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 08:20 AM   #4  
RichO
I agree the solid state isolaters are better.
The idea with building my own isolator is all about the cost.I have been told that the reatil price of a diode isolator is approximatly 10 times the cost of material.I'm assuming that the solid state units are as bad at least and probbably worse for markup since they are the "new"thing.

I guess it's going to come down to which type I can build for myself.

Search this Thread