Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

S-10 engine

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 01:25 PM   #1  
fixacr
S-10 engine

Where can I get a decent 2.8L V-6 for my 1987 S-10? The few used ones I have found are overpriced (in my opinion). One had been in the truck in a junkyard for almost a year with 196,000 on the odometer and the guy wanted $750. It did start and run, but give me a break!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 03:27 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
weigh the truck value to the cost of the engine. If you want to keep it, 600 bucks more would probably get a reman. engine. The 2.8 engine you mentioned, that has that many miles is way past due.

Visiting Guest

03-11-03, 08:49 PM   #3  
Joe_F
If the truck is in good shape as Darrell states, get a Goodwrench (GM) rebuilt. Used ones are a gamble.

If the truck is rough, pitch it and find a better one. S10's of this vintage as common as dirt and can be had anywhere.

03-11-03, 11:57 PM   #4  
I just would rebuild the engine you have, buy a master rebuild kit for about 350$ spend 100$ bucks at the machine shop then buy a new oil pump for 40$. Then you have a practically new motor for the about the cost of they junk yard one.

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 06:39 PM   #5  
Jayster
leads

while searching for another part, I came across these 2.8 chevy engines... they seem reasonable:
http://partsboy.com/oldsmobileused.htm -('89 Cierra)-$550.
or better yet:
http://www.supershopper.com/ads/748.asp -these, and others:
2.8 carburated, can be heard running, $225. OBO
2.8 carburated, with tranny, ready to go, $150.
(in a couple of months, mine might be for sale, too... NJ inspectors!)

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 03:34 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Used engines can be had, but are a gamble. Also, you likely cannot use those front wheel drive 2.8's on your vehicle. You'll need a 86 to 93 2.8 vin R as installed in the S10 platform.

Again, if the truck is worth the money, put a rebuilt in it. If not, pitch it now, it's not worth spending the money----you're just delaying the inevitable .

Visiting Guest

03-26-03, 07:47 AM   #7  
redneck
If your going to put a different year engine in, why not upgrade to a 4.3L?

Search this Thread