neutral safety switch??

Old 03-21-03, 08:17 AM
jfwilharm
Visiting Guest
neutral safety switch??

My 1995 Ford Crown Victoria would not come out of Park this morning. I had the brake pedal depressed, ignition on and still nothing. Is the problem the neutral safety switch? Is there another switch in the ignition? Is there a switch at the brake pedal? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-21-03, 10:36 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I would check owners manual, see if there is a fuse. Then,
Possibly a bad connection, bad safety swx or safety swx relay.
Seems if I remember correctly, on this veh, the swx is on the trans.

Old 03-21-03, 11:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds more like the brake interlock device to me. Typically a bad neutral safety switch will keep it from starting, but not from moving out of park.

If you are stuck in park, then it is likely the device that controls the release to the shift lever when you depress the brake.

I bet Joe or someone else will chime in who knows a little more about that device---as I have not replaced one yet personally

Old 03-21-03, 11:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Jeremy is close.

Check your brake lights. If you do not have brake lights, the brake light switch is the problem---that controls the shift interlock.

I agree with Jeremy.

Old 03-21-03, 11:45 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
As an after thought, possibly the swx on brake pedal that activates the trans safety swx. If safety swx is not activated it will not come out of park.

Old 03-22-03, 01:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with Joe and Jeremy, the brake switch controls the brake interlock with vacuum module built in to the switch..

Old 03-22-03, 07:20 PM
jfwilharm
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by darrell McCoy
I would check owners manual, see if there is a fuse. Then,
Possibly a bad connection, bad safety swx or safety swx relay.
Seems if I remember correctly, on this veh, the swx is on the trans.
Darrell :
Thanks for your suggestion... I considered looking for a fuse, but had decided that a fuse probably wouldn't cause the shift lever to lock up.....after reading your post, I decided to do the smart thing and look.....sure enough, there was one burned out, and when I replaced it, everything was fine.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: