Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

DIY Wheel Alignment?

TX

03-14-03, 08:56 AM   #1  
DIY Wheel Alignment?

I recently replaced my power steering rack (85 Prelude) myslef. I didn't bother to take it in for a wheel alignment. I just did the best I could to screw the tie rods on the same number of turns the other racks rods were tied on.

Was this bad? I have noticed any real problems but I am getting some new tires today and I don't want them to ware prematurely. The guy at the tire place is almost certainly going to try to sell me an alignment job and I was wondering if this is something that can be done myself, without the use of particular technology.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-14-03, 09:15 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You cannot do an accurate wheel alignment at home without the proper tools to do so. There are home alignment systems, but they are quite expensive.

Have the vehicle professionally aligned without delay.

03-15-03, 01:36 AM   #3  
I agree with joe. A good wheel aligment station is about 6000$.
It will be worth the moeny to get it done right.

TX

03-15-03, 06:38 PM   #4  
Thanks to both of you. I guess this is something I'll leave to the pros.

Visiting Guest

03-15-03, 09:50 PM   #5  
SpiderGear
I might be a bit late on this, but if you had of taken a tape measure and measured center to center from the grease nipple's ball bearing and where it joins at the threaded joint before removing and then installed to the same measurement, then park on a level surface and take a tape measure from the center tread mark on the tire to the other tire center tread about mid-way in the front and do the same on the backside and come up with the same measurment, you did a good job of reinstalling the tie rod ends and you should be in specs of what you had when you started the job,(and end up with no tire where) wheeeww, I'm outta' breath!!

Well, you can still double check your job to see if your close!!

Good-Luck!!

Visiting Guest

03-16-03, 08:56 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I did my Saturn's wheel alignment with the Norcar system a few times. It took me, my neighbor and his brother to set it up and took us about 2 hours to get it right. We got it dead on.

However, that setup cost him 5000 bucks! LOL. It is easier to go to a tire shop and have it done professionally for 45 bucks or even less. You can purchase lifetime alignment contracts for cheap.

My uncle got one at Sears for my 84 Oldsmobile in 1985 and I STILL have those papers . I'll just do the work myself and have them do the alignment. If they try to sell you anything, ask them to show you first and deny it if you feel it's not right.

Visiting Guest

03-16-03, 06:19 PM   #7  
fuller911
I also agree that you should take it to a shop to get it done properly. I heard that they used to do wheel alignments using strings. Any truth in this?

Visiting Guest

03-16-03, 09:03 PM   #8  
SpiderGear
I'm sorry!! to say, but years and years ago before all the modern technology, How do you think a Mechanic did a wheel alignment.

Think about it!!

Visiting Guest

03-17-03, 03:46 AM   #9  
Joe_F
True, which is why machines were developed . Plus, cars used to stay in alignment for 2 blocks years ago and tires last 10k miles. LOL.

Visiting Guest

03-18-03, 09:55 PM   #10  
wtfdissux
alignment check

if you are going to a major shop for your tires they should not charge for the check. goodyear for ex. will check for free with tire purchase and it will only cost you more if the car is out of specs (they do this in part to promote thier tire warrenty wich isn't bad even if you buy tires from some guy off a truck they will warrenty them)

03-19-03, 10:10 PM   #11  
To SpiderGear: Are you telling me some one could adjust camber caster and toe all by using a tape mesure to the point that a tire will not shoe pitting or uneven ware?

Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 07:12 AM   #12  
Joe_F
With all the time expended on this post, you could have paid the shop the 45 bucks to align the car and been done now .

Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 08:08 AM   #13  
SpiderGear
To WeldGod;

I would need more tools to do that!!

Carpenter's Square, Carpenter's Level, Carpenter's Tape-measure etc. LOL !!

Search this Thread