using touch up paint--please help

Old 03-16-03, 10:18 PM
scuzzy1
Visiting Guest
using touch up paint--please help

Just recently while backing out of a parking spot I scrapped the rear passenger side just above the wheel well on the passenger side of my car. So heres my problem--- starting on the wheel well extending for about almost half the way around i have some chipped away paint going around the ring on exterior. None of the chips extend higher than probably 1/8th - 1/4th of an inch. what is the best way to touch this up. There are obviously a couple rough edges, Is this going to need sanding? or could i just use some touch up paints and apply a couple coats. Also when using touch up paint how far should you really extend the paint on to original paint.

I appreciate any help someone can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Based on your damage, a professional body shop is the only way it's going to be 100%.

The repaired area has to be blended in, matched and sprayed correctly. All require the tools and expertise of a body shop.

Any touchup paint in a can is not likely to look very nice .

Old 03-17-03, 04:20 AM
I agree with Joe, touch up paint is only for small dings and very fine scratches

Old 03-17-03, 11:58 AM
scuzzy1
Visiting Guest
cost of this----

what do you think it would cost approximately to do this. its nothing to major. would they most likely spray just the area or entire part.

Old 03-17-03, 12:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the damage and cost of materials involved. Probably about 500 bucks.

You also don't tell us what type of car, so we do not know what type of paint system we are dealing with here or the age of the paint.

The shop will blend the old finish with the new with as least respray of the damaged area as possible.

Old 03-17-03, 01:06 PM
scuzzy1
Visiting Guest
a lil more info

heres some more info to help me if you can. Its a 97 civic ex , its black in color.

Old 03-17-03, 01:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get it professionally repaired for best results.

Old 03-17-03, 07:51 PM
You should be able to get Macco to do a quality repair job for less than 200$, it would be more to get a local body shop to do it and you might or might not get good service. With Macco you also have a nation wide warranty just in case.

Old 03-18-03, 10:10 PM
scuzzy1
Visiting Guest
?'s about maaco

i thought about that idea already. i was looking for locations around me last night on their web site. does anyone have any personal experiences to share about the company. good or bad? thanks for all the help.........

Old 03-19-03, 01:42 AM
I have never used them because I do my own body work with the help of one of my friends that owns his own body shop, but i know some one who got her Mustang painted there and it looked very good, they even took off some minor rust.

Old 03-19-03, 03:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
All based on experience since bodywork is an art/craft, not a mass production endeavor.

One Maaco might be great, one might stink. Same with an independent shop. Go with the recommendations of friends, relatives and others.