Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need a few more miles

Visiting Guest

03-17-03, 07:58 AM   #1  
fixrupper
Need a few more miles

I have a 84 Jeep Cherokee 2.8L 4x4 with 180,000+ miles and the valves are clattering badly. I am thinking of taking that off and have them reworked. Am I making a bad financial decision about not going through the entire engine. Have checked out rebuilts and they are also expensive. My goal is to get another 30,000+miles on the top end rebuild. Opinions are greatly appreciated. I have put a new timing chain on in the last 15,000 miles.
Thanks in advance for any knuckle busting advice.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-17-03, 09:43 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Drive it till it grenades and then if it's worth it (the body and the rest of the vehicle are in good shape), put a rebuilt engine in it.

Yes, you will do the job twice to do a top end with a very old bottom end. Drive it till it pukes and then do it over .

Change the oil a few times a month to flush it out, and try a little Marvel Mystery Oil to quiet the valves. That will cobble it along for a while until you can afford a new engine.

My vote? I would pitch it after it grenades unless you love it or are attached to it. These are poorly screwed together, crude and dull in my belief.

03-18-03, 03:55 PM   #3  
Your drivetrain is worth more than you truck. I would look at swapping in a 4.0 injected Jeep I-6. After the orginal motor goes south.

CO

03-18-03, 06:05 PM   #4  
Jeep engine

I have to agree with my fellow posters here, turn the radio up. The 2.8 engine had a notoriously weak crankshaft. I'm not sure how but we owned 3 vehicles with this engine, 1 an 86 Cherokee, and we never had a problem with engine internals. Sold all 3 cars at the 130K-140K range.
The Inline 6, 4.0 liter is a great improvement on the V6 and has suprisingly more power.
slumlordfrank

Search this Thread