olds plug gap

Old 03-17-03, 08:01 AM
Jayster
Visiting Guest
Question olds plug gap

Joe,
Reading thru the site, I noticed you own an '84 Olds, 307... and that the plug and gap have changed.
If the plug has changed from R46SX to R46SZ, what IS the new gap?
Do you recommend the platinum, or split-fire, or any of the others? Why, if you don't mind?
Also... Any tips for me and my "new for me", '84 Cutlass? Anything I should watch for?
The car has been VERY neglected, so far I have only drained the tar out of the engine and trans., and replaced those filters and fluids. The fluids were not low, however, and the car runs like a champ... My next step was going to be degreaser... unbelievable filth and neglect!
I appreciate it!
Thanks, in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-03, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, I do. It is one of the best cars I have owned .

Run the OEM gap in the car. Keep the OEM plugs, anything else is a collosal waste of money.

The R46SZ plugs are for an Oldsmobile Toronado and other early model V8's.

Pitfalls on the Olds V8's:

1) The intake valley pans rot out. That is a metal tray under the intake. Chances are it's wasted on your car.

2) Exhaust donut leaks. Common on the "U" pipe that connects the two exhaust manifolds. Pretty easy to do.

3) Water pump is a bit buried in there. Tips: Take out the A/C compressor, sit it to the side with the hoses still attached, using rope or wires to keep it out of the way. The air pump can come forward a bit to get at the remaining bolts. Change the fuel pump when you do the water pump. It's 25 bucks well spent to prevent you from having to do it again. With the air pump in there, the Olds V8 fuel pump (A Delco #41567) is hard to do.

4) The AIR trees on each manifold are probably wasted too. Break them off, fit a socket over the stubs left in the engine, whip them out and replace the tubes and the valves. Any auto parts store has them.

5) Go completely through the car soup to nuts, changing all your vacuum lines. Give it a tuneup, change all the filters. Clean and polish the body. Scout around various junkyards and get any pieces you need which are missing or broken on your car. Do them once, do them twice, do them three times---you'll miss a few in the process. LOL. Have someone knowledgable go through the carburetor for best performance.

With a little TLC, you'll easily see why this was one of the best selling cars of its time. These run a very long time if well maintained and deliver reasonable performance and fuel economy.

Long live the GM rear drivers . Good luck.