Hesitation, Jerking

Old 03-17-03, 12:02 PM
Hesitation, Jerking

I have a 1999 Ford Contour automatic with about 56,500 miles on it. Lately, when accelerating from a stop, or slow roll, or when going up a steep incline, the car begins to hesitate, and jerk for a minute, and then it seems fine, but it does this every time one of the pre-mentioned driving conditions are present. At first I thought it was the tranny, but then it started happening going uphill. I guess it could still be it, but I am looking for opinions on different options I could explore. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-03, 12:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the links and posts in my signature file, most notably "The Basics".

Old 03-18-03, 11:16 AM
Well, I replaced the fuel filter, and the problem is significantly less apparent than it was before, but it seems to still be there. I only got to drie it for about 2 minutes, though, so I don't know if it takes longer for the pressure to build back up, or whatever, so maybe the problem will work itself out with some more driving. Ya think?! Any more suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-18-03, 09:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Inspect the MAF sensor if so equipped, look for any vacuum leaks and check the idle air control valve.

Old 03-21-03, 05:53 AM
UPDATE!!!

I guess the fuel filter didn't fix the problem as much as I thought. The car is still exhibiting the problem of stumbling, or jerking when taking off from a stop, going up a steep hill, and as I found out last night, on the freeway while driving at speeds above 50. Any more thoughts?

I am thinking it may be the fuel pump, based on symptoms, but I REALLY hope that's not the case....

Old 03-22-03, 02:19 AM
Fuel system jumped out in my mind. I would pull the injectors and clean them and see if that helps, you might also try blowing out you fuel lines to remove any debris that could be slowing fuel flow. I would have my EEC history codes read.

Old 03-22-03, 06:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you checked the fuel pressure??????