thin oil?

Old 03-18-03, 03:51 PM
thin oil?

I've had a slight oil leak for some time now on my 98 olds bravada 4.3l with 107k. The leak is coming from cooler lines (I know it needs to be fixed but that is not the immediate problem) I have kept a close watch on the leak and lately noticed that the "spot" on my floor was watery looking. I haven't had a significant loss of coolant. I just did an oil change, and when I pulled the plug it gushed out. When I now check the oil on the dipstick it is very translucent light brown (hard too even see level). I've done some research and it sounds like maybe a head gasket, but the oil isn't milky colored or bubbled and I don't notice and smoke from tailpipe. Also the oil on the dipstick puddles quite quick and disperses rapidly when allowed to drip on to the paper towel. I have noticed a loss of fuel economy by about 3-4 miles per gallon. Could it be fuel? or coolant? I am having the cooling system pressure tested tomorrow. Just thought I could pick the experts' brains.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-03, 05:33 PM
dragonl2ep
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

alot of times if it is the fuel getting into the oil u can usualy smell it when u drain the oil and sometimes u can see very light smoke. Also as far as the antifreeze getting into the oil on one occasion i have worked on a car that was losing antifreeze and it was going into the oil but it didnt change the oil a different color just some thoughts for u

Old 03-18-03, 06:20 PM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
****Advertising not permitted on this forum. Contact the forum administrator for ad rates**.

Last edited by Joe_F; 03-18-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 08:24 PM
Gomer-techimo
Visiting Guest
AutoZone used to sell analysis kits.

Old 03-18-03, 09:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Oil is SUPPOSED to be very clear on the dipstick and it will be very thin if 5W30 was used!

Smell the dipstick. Does it smell like anything other than oil? If it doesn't, I don't see the problem here.

A shop can use a gas analyzer to determine if you have a blown gasket or there are hydrocarbons in the cooling system.

Old 03-19-03, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone. After comparing the oil on the dipstick on my other vehicle I concluded that the oil was fine.....just like Joe said. That still didn't explain the watery substance on the floor.
Turns out it was a leaky water pump.
Total cost $560 ouch!

Old 03-20-03, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
$560 for a water pump? Was that a dealership service dept job?

Just did water pump and timing belt on my Camry couple of weeks ago <$70 for parts + couple of hours of my labor. Bravada water pump that much more expensive or hard to replace?

Old 03-20-03, 06:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It might be quite involved in labor on that one...

Old 03-20-03, 01:43 PM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
It must have been gold plated, a 4.3 is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off. Same water pump, same pistons, rods, bearings...

Old 03-20-03, 02:08 PM
Done at local reputable Goodyear.
Water Pump 159.95
coolant 9.95
shop supplies 37.13
Pressure Test 49.95 (original request)
Labor For Pump 132.44
AC interference 28.38
air pump interference 28.38
power steer int. 28.38
Flush and fill coolant 70.00
Haz waste 5.10

Total 560.70

Please advise.....fair?

Old 03-20-03, 04:14 PM
wow, that is some serious cost!!

what is AC interference 28.38
air pump interference 28.38
power steer int. 28.3?????

a pressure check takes 2 seconds and should be included in the price or given free, I would be upset about that,

It may be me, but I think they threw in wayyyy too many extra charges because they could get away with it. However, I could be wrong, and others may feel different.

This is the reason if I have someone else do my repairs, why I always get at least 3 estimates. Don't trust the major companies such as good year to be the cheapest. There is a lot to be said for an honest and good mom and pop shop.

Old 03-20-03, 05:22 PM
I think you got hosed.I worked for a major company similar to Goodyear,trust me when I tell you the GM dealer is cheaper,even using new not reman parts.These type companies thrive on customers lack of auto knowledge and thirst for need it done now attitude.Yes they will do it today,get it done today but bend over.The chain i worked for(temporarily)for example would purchase a part for $100 then resale at $250 multiply everything by 2.5.This is way above list price.I will check tomorrow on what it would have cost at my dealership just for kicks ok?

Old 03-20-03, 05:54 PM
that does seem excessive you could of probably had it done at dealership for less you might also check and see if your vehicle is even equiped with an airpump alot of models are not if it isnt you shouldnt of ben charged additional labor.
i would suggest finding a different shop to take your vehicles in for repair in the future.

Old 03-20-03, 06:27 PM
It's not your fault. Good Year is a big name but everytime someone I know has dealt with them they either get charged an arm and a leg or they find 5 or 6 other things that need replaced.

I,ve found that when it's over my head or I'm in a hurry the fairest deal is at the dealer. they go by the book and charge fair rates.

Old 03-20-03, 10:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The labor for replacing the pump should have covered removal of the alternator, pwr strg pump, and air pump, (which i doubt it has being a '98). I guess they used a few garbage bags full of shop towels to ring up 37.00 worth of shop supplies. I don't see a thermostat on the list either. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was standard procedure to change the 'stat when you do any cooling system component replacement. If not, it should be.

Old 03-20-03, 11:24 PM
Dude you go ripped off. (Pun on the Dell commercial) Your water pump is about 50$, your gasket should have also been replaced for about 7$. Coolant for about 10$. You should not have to have paid for the pressure test. I cant believe the charged 70$ for a flush and fill, 20$ at the most. I am not sure there labor rate but it sounded about right. I am not sure about AC/AirPump/Power Stering int., but it sounds like that is a labor charge for having to work on those parts, but that should be covered under labor. I donít ever remember having to mess with an air pump on a S-10 blazer or Bravada. All you have to do to replace a water pump on those is pull the fan shroud/fan. I would seriously consider legal action or reporting the to the better business bureau.

Old 03-21-03, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the input. I will proceed to speak to the manager for some explanation on charges and fees.

Old 03-21-03, 05:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I looked at a bill for a coworker from a chain like that. I found that they had given him the same essential charge twice. In his case it was an estimate, but still it seemed weird.

Chances are, in doing the water pump job, the other items are accounted for, so ask for an explanation. It does seem a little high based on the breakdown you provided us.

Tell us what you find. You might have to contact Goodyear's corporate offices if the shop manager cannot help you out or justify it to you. With enough persistence, you should get some resolution.

Old 03-23-03, 05:02 PM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
Please remember not to blame "GoodYear" Almost all of these places are privately owned just like "McDonalds".

But do not hesitate to call GoodYear and Lodge a complaint against the dealer if you do not recieve any satisfaction. It may or may not do any good for you but if enough people complain, it is possible for them to lose a franchise that they paid some major $$$ for.

Old 03-25-03, 02:20 PM
So I called a couple of places, a dealer and a local independant.
Both came up with about 375 including everything.
I called and spoke with the manager at goodyear and his first words were "I bet that wasn't for all the services we did" I told him it was. Then he told me I need to compare to a dealership. I told him I did. Next he said he would call a dealership for me. He called back and gave me the name of a well known dealership and the name of the person he talked to. He said their price was 645, so in essence "we saved you about a hundred bucks". He said the higher price had to do with computerized diagnostics and that I need to compare to places on the higher echelon. He said that in a voice message to me. I haven't called him back, and I don't thing I will. He may buckle and give me a few bucks back or more than likely offer some discounted service. Buy you know it just ain't worth my time.
The stress saved alone is priceless. I have realized that in the big picture of life money is minuscule.

Old 03-26-03, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
I know of no engine in existence that can have its water pump diagnosed via computer. What a crock! [That can be spelled with a second "o" in place of the second "c"]. Plenty of the second spelling variety hiding behind big-name franchises [this is not a slam on the franchises; there are lots more honest ones than rip-offs].

I would not only not go back, but I would make sure I warned away as many people as you know. They'll end up losing more in the long run than they made ripping you off.