mercury transmission

Old 03-18-03, 07:13 PM
mercury transmission

91 Merc gr. marq. shifts in to 1st and 2nd smoothly. but no third gear or auto overdrive. Rebuild time ???????
125 K

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-03, 09:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely. When was the fluid changed last and what's the condition and level of the fluid?

Old 03-19-03, 04:05 AM
Thats an AOD tranny and they have had alot of changes since they came out originally. If you are gonna rebuild or replace go to the Ford parts guy and check out the Ford remanufactured trannys. They come with all the updates, good warranty. Also you need to have the adjustment on the throttle valve cable checked as it controls shift points and internal transmission pressures. Time for the dealer to check it out or a reliable tranny shop. I have the same car and the OD went out nearly 20K ago and I dont plan on rebuilding the tranny til the rest of it blows up. I just use the car in town and dont need the Overdrive. These AOD trannys were a real weak spot for this car...the rest of the car looks and drives like new with 110K on it.

Old 03-19-03, 04:29 AM
Thanx for your answer. I only had the car 4 mon. shifted fine when bought. No idea when fluid was changed last. fluid is dark red but doesnt smell burnt. Fluid level was fine when bought and is not changing. I have since been told this tranny had bad history from 1991