1983 dodge ram

Old 03-18-03, 08:16 PM
huckle_berry
Visiting Guest
Question 1983 dodge ram

I have a 1983 dodge ram, v8 auto. The previous owner said the truck was running fine then just died. He changed the ignition module and then got it started, however after he killed it, it will not start again. The module tests good....what next? I was thinking maybe the ignition coil or possibly the distributor? BTW...it IS getting fuel.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-03, 09:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with the links and posts I have below.

Old 03-19-03, 03:46 AM
Is this a 318? And you have no spark? Check or replace your ballast resistor first. Your also gonna have to identify what ignition system you have, some came equipped with dual pick ups in the distributor and some didnt, some with vacuum adance and some without and some may have been lean burn.

If you have the module that mounts on the inner fender or firewall, make sure it is grounded real good. This module gets a ground through through its metal case and the mounting bolts.

The pickup assembly/s in the distributor may be bad, the resistance should be between 117 and 900 ohms. If the resistance is not within the accepted range, the pickup coils are bad and must be replaced.

Ballast resistor may look something like this.
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_.../R0-RX/RU4.jpg

Old 03-19-03, 09:52 PM
Also make sure all of your wires are connected and in good shape, check with a muti-meter. Also look at the engine compartment in the dark with some one cranking the motor to make sure it is not arcing out anywhere.