i got a jump

Old 03-19-03, 10:29 AM
NOidea80
Visiting Guest
i got a jump

i got a jump it started but the when it was left after that for about a half hour it needed a different jump. i drove it befor that fo about 20 min. then got home and it sat for about 1.5 hr and started again. saturday i went threw a big puddle could it have shorted my battery? could something be draining my battery? how can i know? cheapest way.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-03, 10:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might have a bad belt, wasted alternator or bad battery.

Do an output check as I have it in my "The Basics" below.

The year, make, and model of the machine would be a collosal help.

Old 03-19-03, 11:02 AM
NOidea80
Visiting Guest
92 honda civic 2 door hatch back automatic with a 96 engie.
put new belts in this summer except altanator belt. i think it is loose could that be draining my battery? my brother checked the altanator and said it was good.

Old 03-20-03, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Could also have been badly corroded battery terminals. The replacement bolt-on type ends are especially prone to this.

Old 03-20-03, 06:11 AM
NOidea80
Visiting Guest
how do i know if it is badly corroded batttery terminals?

Old 03-20-03, 06:27 AM
When you look at the battery, the terminal will be covered with a white, or bluish white material. If you see rust, that's a bad sign. The white stuff, and mild rust can be cleaned with a wire brush. Be sure to unhook the battery first!

I shorted out a battery one time by hitting a pothole. The car would run after a jump, but only after a jump. The alternator could power the car while it was running, but the battery couldn't hold a charge after that.

Kay

Old 03-20-03, 06:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree.

Old 03-21-03, 03:06 AM
If your battery is dead and your alternator is trying to charge it back, you could also kill your alternator by burning it up. That is why some heavy duty trucks come with dual rectifiers in there alternators. You can also clean terminalís with sodium bicarbonate.

Old 03-21-03, 11:40 AM
probably the easiest and cheapest way to figure out this problem is to drive in to autozone or your local parts stores

they should all have volt meters there. Have them check what kind of volts they are getting at the battery posts WHILE the car is running. If it is less than mid 13's or so, it is likely your alternator/regulator. If you are getting 13/14 volts WHILE it is running, then have the battery tested, as that is the likely culprit.