Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tools

Visiting Guest

03-19-03, 10:44 AM   #1  
NOidea80
tools

im a single mom and relize i have no tools and know a lil bout cars (i have fixed brakes with my friend befor and helped put an engine in) what r some good but not to much money tools to have for my car.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-19-03, 10:47 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If you want to get involved in car repair, Sears offers a good start. They offer very reasonably priced sets with alot of pieces. Also, the lifetime warranty on most hand tools mean it's the last one you'll buy. Make sure you buy Craftsman, not Companion (the latter is imported and not warrantied). The package will state the warranty on the product.

I own a ton of their stuff, no problems (And I'm more than the average DIY person ).

I'd take 150 bucks or so and go to town there. Watch for sales in the flyers and special coupons. That's what I do. I also signed up for the Craftsman Club and I get the mailings and discount cards from them.

I'd say they are the way to go for the DIY person.

03-19-03, 01:36 PM   #3  
I agree with Joe, you cant go wrong with craftsman tools, but dont forget about Husky tools, same deal as craftsman they carry a good warrenty and may cost less(?), I think you would be well served with either one.

TX

03-19-03, 04:15 PM   #4  
my 2 cents

Yes, as Joe said Craftsman are good tools you can get a starter set for pretty cheap. I as a professional aircraft mechanic use them myself. I also have many snap on but they are pricey.
DO NOT buy the cheap made in Taiwan tools they are throw away and will make your job harder as they are not made to good standards. You should be able to tell a good quality tool by its feel and finish.

03-19-03, 10:39 PM   #5  
LOVE my Snap-On's

Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 06:37 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Matt:

Not all Husky tools are US made. Some are imported. Stanleyworks makes the Husky line for Home Depot.

Most of the Sears hand tools you'd use are US made. K-D/Danaher is one of the companies making them for Sears.

03-21-03, 02:51 AM   #7  
Do they feel different? And do they have the same warranty? I donít buy Craftsman or Husky tools in general. But I liked both of them when I got my handís on them. I donít know if they are similar in price or not. You probably already know that I use Snap-Onís. I do prefer tools that are made in the US, so I would have to go with craftsman if I ever have to buy a tool at a chain stores. Now that I have said that some one is gong to tell me my beloved Snap-Onís are not made in America.

PS. Dose any one find it wired that I can use the words "beloved" and tool's in the same sentence

Visiting Guest

03-21-03, 03:33 AM   #8  
Joe_F
There is a difference between Husky and Craftsman. Also, Sears takes them back no problems asked . I have bought units at garage sales and swapmeets for a 1/3rd of the price new and simply returned it for new . I make my own sets and wheel and deal.

As for Husky, it depends. Their US made stuff is good. I read somewhere that up until 1994 or so, Stanley WAS the vendor for Sears, but lost out that year to Danaher based on price.

As for Snapon, yes, there is a difference (as says their motto), however, there is NO difference to the home/weekend DIY person except in the wallet. For hobby or heavy DIY use, Craftsman is fine as we are both saying.

I'd say the majority of SnapOn stuff is made here. I have grenaded a few of their tools though. It gets a little tough with the warranty, but they usually comply. .

03-22-03, 01:34 AM   #9  
Snap On is really cool when the bring the tool truck to the shop, some times they gave us fee tools to keep that have just come out, and pick up and replace any tools we have broke sense there last visit. Most of the time the tools they give a few of us is a part of a set, they give it to us to try to make us decide we cant live with out the rest of the set. But each tools can cost quite a bit. Most of the time a few of the guys buy a tool or two from him, then we have a cup of coffee then he leaves. I am sure not every regular tool customer has this relation ship with his tool guy. I think it would be a lot harder for people that the truck dose not stop by and see regularly. I think it also helps that we deal with the same guy every time they come. I think they go out of the way to please the pro-user market and are less concerned about the DIYíer. I went and got a Husky 3/8 in drive ratchet (24$), a Husky 10 piece wrench set (29$), and a craftsman 3/8in drive ratchet (34$) with a Craftsman 13 piece wrench set (71$). I also got a Husky air wrench (99$) and a Craftsman air wrench (116$). This Saturday I am going to put in a new drive train in a sand dragster. Then I will break a wrench in both set and try to exchange them and see what happens. I will report the results of my very unscientific test Saturday night or early Sunday.

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 06:07 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Both Sears and HD will replace their respective product, no questions asked (I know this for sure on Sears), however, HD will exchange the Sears tool for one of their own (but Sears won't exchange the HD one).

03-23-03, 02:39 AM   #11  
UPDATE: The drive train is in, and I got a good feel for the tools. I did not develop a preference for one brand of wrench over the other. In my opinion I donít think the craftsman tools are worth how much more they cost over the HD tools. The craftsman tools felt a little heaver, witch I liked, but not enough that I think it makes up for the price difference. I used the 9/16 wrenches to test there durability, I put them in a 2000 ton hydraulic press, they both broke at the same point in the ramís travel, but I noticed the craftsman tool bent a little before it broke. I donít think the tool guys at the store have ever seen a wrench that has been broke by a 2000 ton press; my wife was with me and thought it was funny when I plopped down the wrench in numerous pieces and demanded an exchange. Both brands were exchanged with out a problem. The Sears clerk asked me what happened when he was in the process of exchanging the tool, but I think it was more out of morbid curiosity then any thing else. I told him that it was caught in a press and he just looked at the poor tool with out saying a word. The Husky air tools seemed to have more torque, but the Craftsman air wrench I think would be less draining to use over a long project. In comparison with my Snap-Onís neither of the tools compared, but neither are in the price range either. OK, there everyone has results of my very unscientific test. And I have Christmas and Father Day presents well in advance of the holiday for once.

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 04:45 PM   #12  
Joe_F
Now try that with the Snapon. Note the pressure it goes bad and then see if the truck guy exchanges it without replacement or he says, "No warranty, it's been abused".

I'd be curious to see what they tell you .

TX

03-23-03, 06:36 PM   #13  
Snap on

Yes, Snap on does give you the third degree when you try to replace a tool. I have tried to return a ratchet and had some problems. I think it all depends on how good a customer you are I don't buy a lot any more because my tool selection is pretty large.
So if you buy a 70 dollar item every nine months you wont get as good of service as lets say the guy that spends a few hundred every couple of weeks or buys a 7000 dollar rollaway.
However Snap-On does have tools that are special and specialized for aviation.
The walls on the sockets are thinner also the ratchets have less freeplay between its catches. Yea I like snap on But it will be a cold day in you know were before you see me modify one to fit what I need it for I just cant bring myself to grind or bend a Snap-On.

03-23-03, 06:58 PM   #14  
That is strange, I have never had a problem returning anything to snap on. They most of the time don't even ask what has happened when we try to exchange something. They have taken some tools that have been badly abused and it was obvious. They even replaced a fiber optic bore scope that got left in a motor that was cranked. That was a 2000$ tool and they did not give us any problems. And I really would not have minded buying the shop a new one because it really was careless to break it that way. I think there is a lot of truth in saying that it depends on how much you buy form them on what they are willing to do for you. If you work at a fairly big shop that has a lot of people that buy Snap-On I think the are more prone to bend over backwards for you. I think it also depends on your tool guy to, some are better than others. When I was at sears the other day I was really impressed with one of there ratchets, the slim line 3/8, and there fully polished wrenches.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 09:39 PM   #15  
mnkywrench
Anyone here in the Craftsman club? I heard that you get a automatic 10% off each time you buy tools. Is this true? I signed up for the club a couple of weeks ago, im waiting for the membership package.

Also, does anyone have a member# or code I can use to get a discount? Thanks.

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 05:56 AM   #16  
Joe_F
See my other post. Talk to the Sears store manager. If you have proof you signed up and are waiting for the paperwork to come through, see what they will do for you.

Perhaps you can pick out the set now with the discount and they can hold it for you. When your card arrives, you can pick it up at the discounted amount.

Again, talk to the management folks there and tell them you've been waiting for the card to come in the mail and it's been some time. They will usually comply. If I miss the sale date by a few days, I bring the ad in and they usually give it to me .

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 07:21 AM   #17  
Gomer-techimo
While we are on the subject....

I bought a small 100 piece or so Craftsman socket set several years back. It has been wonderful.

Recently, both the 1/4" and 3/8" drive wore out. When I took them in, the girl behind the counter went to a chest and pulled out refurbed rachets. Now I don't really mind this, but I had always thought they would be new. The ones that were given to me work great. Anyone else have this sort of experience with Craftsman?

Last edited by Gomer-techimo; 04-20-03 at 07:47 AM.

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 07:32 AM   #18  
Joe_F
Yup, they will give you refurbs now. No biggie.

The major tool companies (Snap On, etc) also fix your original ones too in many cases .

04-20-03, 11:23 AM   #19  
Any one know if Home Depot is giving new ones or not? When I did my little experiment I got new tools from both HD and Sears.

Visiting Guest

04-20-03, 01:38 PM   #20  
Joe_F
Yes, I believe HD gives new ones. HD sells probably half the volume that Sears does though .

Many of the Husky tools are now made offshore---poor quality .

Search this Thread