building a go-cart

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-03, 01:18 PM
duff
Visiting Guest
Question building a go-cart

Hi! I have got a murray lawn mower with a 3.5 Briggs and Straton engine. I would really like to build a go-cart. So, can you offer any information to help make my childhood dream come true? Do you know if this motor is big enough to power a go-cart, and if yes, for a kid or an adult?
I sure appreciate your time and help. Respectfully,
Duff

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-03, 02:07 PM
AVGJOE35
Visiting Guest
3.5 isn't gonna give you much. Go with at least 5.0.

Also is this off a push mower? I believe you need side shaft engine for go-cart or mini bike.

Old 03-19-03, 02:16 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Dont think you would be satisfied with the 3.5 briggs, besides you need an engine with horizontal shaft for best results. If you want to get really serious, use a snow mobile engine. Possibly a large chainsaw engine. Considerating the above, plus fabricating a frame you are in for a pretty good size project. I have seen these carts, ready to go for as low as 600 bucks. Price depends on what you want.

Old 03-19-03, 03:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wrong forum for this question. Ask Mike Merritt, my friend moderator in the Go-kart forum.

You cannot use an engine with a vertical shaft horizontally like that. You'll starve it for lubrication and wipe it out in a jiffy. Engines for that HP range are under 200 bucks. Check Ebay.

Old 08-21-12, 12:14 PM
Sure you can use a vertical-shaft engine- it's just not as easy to use as a horizontal unit. Your best bet is a transaxle from a riding lawnmower. This gives you differential action, and the 90-degree turn you will need to put the power to the pavement. Difficult, but not impossible.

Closed Thread