Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1987 Grand Prix

Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 07:56 AM   #1  
sapphire
1987 Grand Prix

I have a 87' Grand Prix that I am having a problem with the air conditioning on. Don't get me wrong, the air blows out really cold, but.....every time I turn it on the whole car runs a litte bit rougher. When I am pressing the gas pedal, it doesn't seem to ride too rough...but, when I am at a light idling then it feels like I am going to shake right out of my seat! Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 09:16 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You may need an idle adjustment or you may need to get into the carburetor for a rebuild.

Which engine? Also, have you done an alternator output test to see if the alternator is putting out sufficiently? Autozone and others will check the charging system free of charge.

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 09:25 AM   #3  
sapphire
87' Pontiac Grand Prix

I have a 4.3, 6 cylinder engine. We were checking the engine while it was running and noticed that the pulley where the water pump is, kind of seems like it is loose. I was told that the bearings in the water pump may be bad and therefore I would need to replace the water pump......is this true?

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 09:44 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure sounds like it.

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 09:47 AM   #5  
sapphire
Thanx alot! I appreciate all the help. I will try this and if nothing changes, I will check back here with more questions.

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 02:02 PM   #6  
Joe_F
The 4.3 engine is fuel injected, not carbed. Check the alt. output and report back.

Search this Thread