Disconnect Auto Alarm?

Old 03-21-03, 12:21 PM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Question Disconnect Auto Alarm?

My '90 Geo Prizm has a Clifford Alarm System. For a number of reasons, I'd like to disconnect it. Neither DH nor I have any idea how to do this. Is it something we can do ourselves with the aid of a diagram? Is it a job best left to a professional? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-03, 12:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's probably best left to a professional to repair it or disarm it. Most aftermarket alarm jobs are botch ups and have to be subsequently removed .

Old 03-21-03, 02:44 PM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. What sort of expert? Can a mechanic do it? The oil change guys? Sears battery guy?

The alarm is old, I do not plan to reuse it. What if I just cut the wire?

Old 03-22-03, 01:48 AM
Yes you could just cut power to it. Find the alarm box and get out a muli-meter and find the hot wire and cut it. Of course you would want to disconnet the negitive battery cable before you cut it. If you cut the wrong wire you might end up with an alarm that will not shut off. We had to cut the wire to an alarm on a friend's jeep, because it would not shut off. You shoud have seen the looks we got in the wal-mart parking lot cutting wires under the hood of a jeep that the alarm was going off. I thought some one was going to call the cops.

Old 03-22-03, 06:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I would suggest an alarm/stereo shop do it. Have them install a simple keypad cutoff if you want something with security.

If they haven't stolen a ' 90 Geo by now, fat chance it will ever be stolen. LOL

Old 03-22-03, 09:49 AM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
If they haven't stolen a ' 90 Geo by now, fat chance it will ever be stolen. LOL
LOL, trust me.... no one wants this car.

Old 03-22-03, 10:03 AM
I've seen pieces of junk cars with $3000.00 worth of stereo equip in them and the same in wheels. It's amazing where the priorities go with people. So sometimes the alarm isn't to keep the car from being stolen it's to secure the stereo and wheels.