Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Automatic Transmission

Visiting Guest

03-21-03, 11:43 PM   #1  
F8LWarrior
Automatic Transmission

I have a 93 Dodge Spirit. The transmission just suddenly quit as i was going to school.
it was running fine and then it just took more and more gas to make it go. Pretty soon I would have it wide open and not be moveing any faster then 1 mile an hour. Help me
Now I have the transmission out of the car. I have also taken it "mostly" apart all seems to be ok. I dont get it!!
One more thing as i was takeing it apart I...
Took the filter off the trany
i also took the hydraulic chamber apart and forgot about the ball bearings inside than help regulate the flow of the fluid what am i going to do?

Sponsored Links

03-22-03, 12:37 AM   #2  
In your particular situation it sounds like you would be time and money ahead to get a used tranny or maybe a rebuilt one. Try looking at www.car-part.com for a used one.

03-22-03, 01:40 AM   #3  
Re-building an auto tranny is an art. I am sure you could do it, but you need to get the manual for your tranny and some speicality tools. Your toruqe converter could have failed.

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 06:15 AM   #4  
Joe_F
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH Nelley!

How do you know the tranny is the problem? You could have a restricted exhaust, a ground that fell off, a dying alternator or a vacuum leak, or another problem. The tranny likely wouldn't go like that, it would grenade gradually.

Tranny repair is not a DIY endeavor. As noted, it requires special tools, service manuals, knowhow, training and procedures. Get a rebuilt one at this point.

03-22-03, 07:41 AM   #5  
The chamber is the control valve body,the ball bearings are checkballs and you can't always actually see an automatic transmission problem unless something breaks.You may have a torn seal,bad pump.convertor or even a hairline crack not visable to the naked eye.I agree with Joe get a rebuilt.

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 10:00 PM   #6  
F8LWarrior
You said Check balls? explain that for me so i have a better understanding.
im not trying to rebuild the trany
as you guys said buy a rebuilt
I like to see how things work and most of the time when i just do some in deapth cleaning and reasemble them they work just fine.
i was takeing it appart and now im stuck because of those ball bearings that fell out. If in any way possible i need to know how to place them back in their correct places.

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 10:08 PM   #7  
F8LWarrior
To Joe:
The trany did go slowly sorry for not explainig into detail.
It was running fine and I stopped at a light and when tryed to go i had to give it more gas to accelerate. After about 20 minutes I had my foot in the floor and wasnt getting anywhere. The trany didnt have a leak and never gave me problems before. The engine doesnt have any problems either it was kept up, what i mean is never hotroded. Do it yourself tune-ups were done. Oil, Spark plugs, filters, ect. I guess my question would be, after reading into automatic transmissions, could this problem have accured due to a clog in the path ways inside the trany? After removeing alot of the insides and takeing the hydraulic chamber appart i noticed it have alot of what looked to me like rusty metal fragments. And the filter didnt look to go either.

03-23-03, 01:17 AM   #8  
Think about the automatic transmission as a big hydraulic pump. Thatís not exactly accurate but it give you an idea. Yes you could have clogged it with the metal fragments that caused it to fail. But that leaves the question of what are the metal fragments from? They should not be there so you likely have more than one problem with that transmission.

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 04:59 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Original poster: You're not following me. Tranny internal repair is NOT DIY work.

You need at minimum:

1) The Chrysler service manual (which you should have anyhow).
2) Training,
3) Knowledge of how this works,
4) Experience in rebuilding them.
5) In most cases, specific special Chrysler tools.

Can it be done? Yes, but it is very complex and that is why there are tranny shops which specialize in this type of repair.

Again, you cannot be sure the tranny isn't the problem. You may have a clogged catalytic converter. You could also have other mechanical problems.

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 05:23 PM   #10  
F8LWarrior
I know this isnt a DIY job
I do have most of the tools i just have to get them from a friend of mine who does have them
All i need to know at this point is how those Ball Bearings work. And how to place them back into the hydraulic valves.
I have had the engine looked at and all is well with the engine and everything else. the engine still runs great even though we should not have started it, it does. Everything except the trany is fine. If you can explane to me how to place the Check Balls back into the valve body (hydraulic chambers) and ill take it from there.

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 05:26 PM   #11  
Joe_F
Pick up a Chrysler service manual. It will have all you need to know on the entire vehicle. That is the best and only resource for this kind of work.

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 05:31 PM   #12  
F8LWarrior
Will do thanks

Search this Thread