Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Caravan idle problem

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 01:59 AM   #1  
mcb0420
Caravan idle problem

My 1990 Dodge Caravan, 4cy turbo, is idling like crazy. I have had one garage work on it, but they did not solve the problem, although the did replace some sort of relay. They told me that they put it on the computer, but could not find anything wrong with the exception I may be ready for a new catalitic convertor. Anything, anyone, may have to suggest would be awesome. Thank you very much, Michael

Sponsored Links

03-22-03, 02:08 AM   #2  
I would start with you idle adjustment screw. I cant tell you where it is with out knowing what carburetor/ induction you have. The link below should have all of the info you need to adjust it and trobule shoot other systems.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 06:12 AM   #3  
Joe_F
No! Do not touch any idle screws. The problem is elsewhere. Fooling with the idle screw won't solve a thing.

You have a vacuum leak or a bad idle air control valve/dirty throttle body.

Weld: This turbo engine would be a 2.5 MFI in this year.

03-23-03, 02:52 AM   #4  
I say always start with the idle screw if equipped. I have literally seen 40 or 50 that have caused problems, or the spring borke. I agree that it might be a vacuum leak or a bad idler, and I should have said that but I always start with the most obvious thing.

MI

03-23-03, 09:10 AM   #5  
Computer-controlled, fuel-injected engines don't have an idle adjust screw. They do have a screw that looks like an idle adjust, but it should not be touched. All it does is it keeps the throttle plate from closing too far so it won't score the throttle bore. Idle is controlled by the idle air control motor through the computer.

I agree with Joe. Clean the throttle body and idle air control mechanism.

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 03:49 AM   #6  
mcb0420
Thanks

I was out of town, and unable to work on my van. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks, Michael

Search this Thread