Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

service engine soon light came on

Visiting Guest

03-22-03, 07:19 AM   #1  
shadytree
service engine soon light came on

Vehicle: 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager
3.3 litre V6 OD transmission
56,000 miles well maintained

Problem: Last night I drove about 10 miles and had stopped to drop off my boy and the van was idling for 5 min when the service engine soon light came on. It was running fine and I drove it back to town and ran several errands with it. It starts fine and I have not detected any problems with it. I completed automotive mechanic school with limited computer training (20 yrs ago!) and I do most of my own mechanic work. Unfortuanately I do not have the computer tools to analyze the computer and am not overly knowledgeable on all the new technology on the pcm. I did however check the manuel codes which flashed a 12-21-55. I looked in my Haynes manuel for my van and I found that 12 was a battery disconnect which I did replace the battery several weeks ago. And I know 55 is the completion of codes. 21 trouble code is a little confusing to me. It says there was a problem with (right rear (or just) upstream O2S stays at center or shorted to voltage or shorted to ground. i'm not sure if this may have been a intermittent problem or if the upstream O2 sensor is bad. I was under the impression I could unhook the battery to clear the codes but the Haynes manuel says not to do this because it will make it run rough until computer adjusts. It recommends to use the OBD-ll scan tool to clear the codes. Any help appreciated before I take it in to the shop.
Dan

Sponsored Links

03-22-03, 07:44 AM   #2  
Take the van to Autozone they can read and clear the code.If the code comes back replace the sensor.

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 07:19 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Davo

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 06:01 PM   #4  
shadytree
SERVICE ENGINE SOON

I checked with autozone and they are telling me they will not clear the codes unless the sensor has been replaced. If I replace the upstream oxygen sensor ($80.00) then they will clear the codes. I cannot get them to clear them just to see if it was an intermittant problem. Will it be harmful just to unhook the battery to clear them? Do you think it is most likely a faulty sensor? I checked the connections at the sensor and everything appeared to be in order.

03-24-03, 06:26 PM   #5  
thats bs man. Call them back and talk to a supervisor and tell him you want' your codes cleared. You can't be expected to buy an $80 part and trouble shoot after the fact to see if that was the problem. All else fails, go to another autozone.

If you pull the battery cable, all of your radio presets, clock, and anything electronic in that matter will be reset-otherwise you should be ok.

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 02:34 PM   #6  
shadytree
I checked with a couple of competitors in town and they said autozone is getting sued over clearing the codes. Maybe it has to do with what state you live in. I'm from Illinois.

When it rains it pours! My wife called me today and said besides the service engine soon light on she started the van and drove it 1 block and the radio, heat/air, windows quit working. She said the abs and the airbag light came on. She said she drove it 3-4 blocks and stopped and shut it off. When she restarted it 30 min later she thinks everything came back on. She was not sure if when she restarted it, everything came back on or she drove a short distance and everything came back on. I checked it when i got home and it appears to be working fine except for the service engine light on. Any clues what that could have been about? I read where it is equipped with circuit breakers that will reset themselves. If that occurred I do not know why it would have blew the breaker. Trading is lookin good!!

03-25-03, 02:51 PM   #7  
As for Autozone and the codes perhaps it is an EPA issue I don't know.The other problem sounds like a loose wiring connection,you would need a Chrysler service manual to trace the wiring for the affected systems and try to find what is common to all affected.

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 03:27 PM   #8  
Joe_F
I have not heard that about Zone. I would think it's ok for them to pull codes---it's a free service of theirs.

As for why they won't pull the codes before buying parts, you might check with Autozone corporate on that one.

Search this Thread