That darn check engine light

Old 03-22-03, 04:11 PM
That darn check engine light

1994 Honda Civic EX 1.6L VTEC 5 Speed 117,000 miles. I performed the diagnostic and got a code 41, "Oxygen Sensor Heater- Check the heater for proper voltage signal." Is it a safe bet that the O2 Sensor needs to be replaced? The repair manual from the Public Library says I need a "special socket" to remove it. Any ideas what's special about it? What is a typical charge at a garage to replace it? Is it worth the hassle do it myself? How difficult can it be?

Showing my ignorance in South Carolina,

allenzachary

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-03, 04:20 PM
most likely is a bad o2 sensor and if hasnt been changed i would suggest changing it as maintence at this mileage. alot of times you can use a regular 7/8 wrench to change the o2 sensor, but if it is in a location where you cannot use a wrench any parts store should carry an o2 socket and should not cost much. usually o2 sensors are fairly easy to replace.

Old 03-23-03, 04:12 AM
Excellent. It looks like there's some accumulation of rust on the manifold and sensor. Can I use "Liquid Wrench" or something along those lines to help get it out? I know the new one is coated withan anti-seize material.

Also, there is a dramatic difference in price btween the O2 sensors that come with the builit-in electical connection for my Honda and "universal" sensors that need to be spliced. How much of a difference is there between the two in terms of ease of installation and performance?

Becoming enlightened in South Carolina (no easy task),

allenzachary

Old 03-23-03, 04:39 AM
If it is done correctly the spliced one will be as good as the Honda one, but I really like to use OEM unless itís an after market upgrade. And the Honda one should be quite a bit easer to install than the Universal one. You should be fine using liquid wrench to get it out. Just make sure you clean the area before you install the new one.

Old 03-23-03, 04:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Soak it with Liquid wrench, get a socket or wrench on there and whip it off.

Stick with an OEM quality sensor, either from the dealer or parts store. You're better off.