1989 Honda Accord Lxi oozing yellow stuff

Old 03-22-03, 07:52 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
1989 Honda Accord Lxi oozing yellow stuff

I have a 1989 Honda Accord LXi automatic. It has 156,000 miles. I do not know the engine size though. I was driving my car down the road and I noticed smoke (I believe white) pouring out the back. I came home and step on the peddle a little and it would not stop pouring out. I turned my car off and the next morning I noticed under the car on the driver's side there was mustard colored fluid leaking out on the ground. Can someone please tell me if they know what is wrong. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-03, 01:40 AM
Most of the time billowing white smoke from you exhaust is usually a sign that your motor is burning coolant. If you are lucky is a blown head gasket, but if not so lucky it could be a busted head or cracked block Either way I would check you coolant level to see how much of it you burned. You might want to drain your oil to see if it is white or discolored. Milky oil is usually a sign of water in your oil. I am guessing that your mustared looking substance is your coolant mixed with oil. Either way you motor is shot with out major repairs, if you want to do it your self I would start by looking at my head gasket, then heads.

Old 03-23-03, 04:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. I would change the whole engine. Chances are the bottom end is weak too and you'll do the job twice.

Old 03-23-03, 05:07 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
1989 Honda Accord LXi

So you are basically saying that the car is useless. Another engine is quite expensive, right? What is the point on a 1989? I have poured too much $$$$$$$ into this piece of crap. Thank you very much for your responses.

Old 03-23-03, 05:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Old Japanese cars like this are money pits. The parts are expensive, the car falls apart as it gets older and it's simply an old machine when it's that old.

If the vehicle is in good shape, it's likely worth the repairs. If it's in poor shape, pitch it and step up to something better.

Old 03-23-03, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you plan on doing the work yourself, and the car is in decent shape otherwise, you may be better off changing the head gasket anyway. Even if you intend to sell/trade it. (figure...what would it be worth running, and what is it worth now). 156k miles is not a lot for most hondas. The head gasket job probably will run into $200 to $250 depending on if you do the timing belt, which I reccomend, and how much work the machine shop has to do to the head, and what other things you may find along the way. If you have a shop do the repair, I doubt it would be worth it. Your call, either way.

Old 03-24-03, 04:51 AM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
Whether you choose to fix this car or buy another, make sure you do not use "permanent" type Anti-Freeze. Many GM and other dealers are pulling it out of vehicles for all the problems it causes.

Gelling is one of them. If your system gets air into it, or somebody puts regular anti-freeze into the system it turns in to a nice gel and attacks parts.

Old 03-25-03, 11:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
LOL...my friends' sister took her car to a junkyard mechanic without a clue. He butchered her car, overcharged her by far, cut up the wiring harness, and filled up the cooling system with the green stuff---right on top of the newer antifreeze that was already in it. The combination of the two rotted, clogged, and deteriorated several system components in a very short amount of time. 2 radiators later, she let someone elso look at it. Then it took a water pump, thermostat (which were thoroughly rotted out), hoses, a serious system flush (crud and goop was all in the system) and some other things to get it straightened out. I wonder how much eating away at the head gaskets it did. I suppose we'll find out eventually. A costly lesson...she'll never get her $$ back.

Old 03-26-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Geez .

Always put in the recommended stuff

Search this Thread