starting problem

Old 03-23-03, 07:19 AM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Question starting problem

I've been having problems lately when trying to start my car. It used to start right up with very little engine cranking. Now, the engine cranks for several seconds before firing, as if it's not going to start. Sometimes the engine starts, then stumbles for a couple of seconds before smoothing out. This has been going on for several months, off and on, but recently it seems this happens every time I try to start it. Temperature and weather conditions don't seem to be a factor, as this happens in all types of conditions. Once the engine is running I don't have any problems. The car runs smoothly and accelerates with no problems. The air filter is changed regularly, the oil is changed every 4000 - 5000 miles, according to the manufacturers recommendations, and the fuel filter was changed about 10,000 miles ago. The spark plugs were changed about 15,000 miles ago. The problem was already happening before the new fuel filter and plugs. The car is a 1997 Nissan Maxima. 3.0 Liter V6. It has 72000 miles on it. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I might look for a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-03, 04:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the fuel pressure checked. It may be bleeding off overnight causing hard starting.