1996 Chevy Astro Ignition Module

Old 03-23-03, 04:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Question 1996 Chevy Astro Ignition Module

I have a 1996 Chevy Astro Van; 4.3 Vortec; 2-wheel drive. It just died going down the road. This has happened before in a different van and I replaced the ignition module. I bought the module and it was different than the one on the van. The auto parts store said they gave me the only one listed for this van. The part is TOTALLY different. The new one has 4 prongs and a 90 degree plug in. The old one has only 3 prongs and a straight plug in. Any suggestions? Desperately need answers!!! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-03, 04:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wrong part. How do you know the ignition module is the problem????

Start with "The Basics" below. Tell us what you find.

Old 03-23-03, 04:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Just going by past problem and ASSUMING it is the same since it did the same thing. I figured it was probably the wrong part, but why such a different part? The auto parts store couldn't cross reference the number and even find the old part. Any thoughts? We are 35-40 miles from the auto parts store or I would just run it up there!

Old 03-23-03, 05:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You will throw parts at the problem unless you diagnose it in order in a meaningful fashion.

You MUST start with "The Basics" to rule out where the problem might be. You may have a fuel, not a spark problem.

Never assume one is the same as the other. Vehicles can be different as night and day.

Old 03-19-11, 07:36 PM
can you help me please

Hi I just read your post from 03 about the 96 astro can you tell me what you finally found out I am haveing the same problem with my 96 astro and it is about to drive me crazy.I have replaced fuel pump/filter,cranks sensor and cam sensor.but it will not run unless I spray starting fluid into the intake.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-21-11 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Contact info removed.
Old 03-20-11, 12:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's the wrong part. But no part should be replaced until it is checked and found to be defective. Otherwise all you're doing is wasting time and money by throwing parts at a problem till it's fixed. Take your original module to a qualified professional auto parts store and have it checked. Many stores will check it for free. You also have to make sure that fuel is reaching the plugs. For that use a fuel system pressure tester.