1990 Toyota Brake Problem

Old 03-23-03, 04:46 PM
1990 Toyota Brake Problem

1990 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, without ABS.

This car intermittently makes a banging noise and the brake pedal kicks back. This is my daughters car and she says that in the morning the pedal goes to the floor & the car doesn't stop. She then pumps it up and its ok for stopping. But the pedal vibrates and bangs. It's enough to knock her foot off of the pedal.

I gave her my car and brought it home. It stopped ok, but the pedal does bang and kick back. It's similar to the abs pedal on a slipperry road, but slower and stronger; and it only happens 2-3 times a cycle. It didn't kick my foot off of the pedal, but it is a stong kick.

The front brakes, calipers and rotors have 5,000 miles on them. The rear brakes and wheel cylinders have 3,000 miles on them. The brake light is off and the fluid is full. I'm prepared to replace the master cylinder but I wanted another opinion before I do.

I wondered if the vacuum assist could be involved, but I don't know much about it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sherm

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-03, 04:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could have a clogged brake line, so change the front caliper flex hoses if they have never been done. Start there and thoroughly bleed the system.

See autolibrary.org for any testing procedures on the vacuum booster.

Old 03-23-03, 07:10 PM
What happens with a clogged brake line. I bled the brakes today with no dificulties. There was no air in any line and the fluid flowed freely. Does this rule out a clogged line, or is the clog intermittent?

If this rules out the line, what is the next most likely cause? Could it be the master cylinder?

Thanks,

Sherm

Search this Thread