1970 Ford F-100 For restoration

Old 03-24-03, 09:25 AM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Question 1970 Ford F-100 For restoration

I have a 1970 f-100 I have been restoring. I boned up & got ahead of myself in that mechanically I'm about done. The problem is I have discovered that the front cab mounts are shot. They are in the wheel wells and have rusted out to the point that the body has fallen slightly & come to rest on what is left of the mounts. By mounts I mean the body ...extensions?... the wings & actual mount on the frame are fine. I am not a body man & know nothing of welding or fabricating parts. Bolt ons & finishing are not a problem but this doesn't look like something so easilly fixxed. As far as the truck goes I am just beginning the body work & have several pannels to replace/repair including that fender & floor pan... Which is question 2.. Where/ Who is a good place to get replacement parts? Can these mounts be replaced & How would I go about it? This is a long term project & extensive body shop work is not in the budjet. I'm trying to keep it a DIY.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-03, 09:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Structural work like that is not DIY work. It has to be handled correctly, properly and right the first time or good body work is a waste on a decripit body.

There are multiple vendors for old body parts like that. Sherman Associates & Goodmark are two of them.

Believe it or not, it is probably cheaper in the long haul to have a rust free cab hauled in from Arizona or a rust free state.

Old 03-24-03, 03:01 PM
Try www.rustrepair.com and also the website and forum at www.ford-truck.com

Old 03-24-03, 04:29 PM
I agree that you would be ahead to get a rust free body it you have much deep rust. To answer your question, you have to cut off the body mounts and weld new ones on. I have done this many times with good results on trucks, dump trucks and such. But weld quality is very important; a crappy job here could have fatal results. If you are sure you do not want to buy a new body, you are in for a lot of body work, that might or might not fix the problem. If you know some one that is a component welder you can do this job at home. You need 2 Jacks, 4x4 wood blocks, newly fabricated body mounts and wings. You can do it two different ways, 1. is to take the body off the truck, 2. is to jack the body up on the frame and use 4x4 blocks as spacers. I think you get the best job by taking the body off. After I am done with all of there repairs I would coat the bottom with a rust converter/inhibitor such as POR-15. I have used this on numerous IHC trucks before I repainted them, and have never had rust re occur. The secret is to get all of the rust off before you apply the POR-15, use patch panels, filling with lead, and bondo. You also have to have the metal chemically cleaned to get all traces of rust off the metal. In my experience all of this is only worth it in the long run if you can not find new body parts to replace yours with. Or if the truck is going to be a work truck or a off road toy.

Old 03-25-03, 07:43 AM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. I have found the new mounts in weld & bolt ons. As I am not a welder I am thinking of using the bolt ons. Opinions??

Old 03-25-03, 10:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Weld it as original and intended by the factory.

Old 03-25-03, 11:56 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Seriously, go buy a decent mig welder and practice daily on scrap body sheet metal from yard. You will be way ahead as you work on this project. Believe me, once you learn to weld, it is a very useful tool. You could even take a class if you have the time!

Old 03-26-03, 10:45 PM
Welding is a very useful skill. But, this is not the project to start on. I would go with the weld on mounts. The IHC trucks I have bought with Bolt-On type mounts were not very sturdy, made lots of noise and just made me nervous. But a poorly welded mount would not be any better. Now I replace Bolt-On mounts at sight on trucks. If do all of the prep work you could hire a welder to come buy and weld it for about 40$ an hour. If you are ready when he gets there it should not cost much. It should not even take an hour.

Old 03-27-03, 05:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

True. There are mobile welding shops that can easily and competently complete the needed repairs.