automotive paint prep

Old 03-24-03, 09:32 AM
nwood5580
Visiting Guest
automotive paint prep

Can anyone give me advice on the next step after a full body paint strip to bare metal?The stage I am at now is bare metal sanded with 40 grit sandpaper.Should I sand with finer paper to smooth out the deep sand scratches or will the coats of primer fill them in?A stage by stage advice would be helpful.I will be painting the car with a single stage paint only.I am only doing the prep work but I will leave the paint to the professional.- Regards,Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-03, 09:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This is a very dangerous endeavor. The shop that paints the vehicle will not guarantee the finish as they do not know the quality of the prep work. Also, the primers may be incompatible with the top coat.

In essence, you really DO NOT save by doing the prep work yourself. You do by removing all the trim though

Old 03-24-03, 09:46 AM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
You need to multi-stage sand it, 40, 60,80,120,220 etc to at least 400, I go to 600. Any sanding marks, swirls etc will transmit through the paint. Variable orbital sanders do best with a wet hand sanding to finish up. it is also good to lightly sand with a high grit paper between coats of primer if you are going to use more than one coat.

Old 03-25-03, 12:07 AM
nwood5580
Visiting Guest
thanks John- I was also told that after sanding to bare metal with 40 grit , leave the scratches and use etching primer as my first coat- repair any dings or pinholes-then three or four coats epoxy filler primer to smooth the body out- sanding in between.Can you confirm? regards-nwood

Old 03-25-03, 07:28 AM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Call me old fashioned Neil, I've never done it that way & Honestly did'nt know it was available. I'm not the type to trust chemicals to sand for me. I don't even use strippers on wood unless they're antique...Good Luck with it & above all if you're not having fun take it to someone else. No fun=rush job=bad paint job..

Old 03-27-03, 08:52 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Bodywork is an art--and I ain't no artist. I have rebuilt engines and trannys--simple, anyone with tools who can read can do it. But body work? No way, I gotta farm that out! good luck!

Search this Thread