Summer noises

Old 03-25-03, 08:00 AM
sbb
Visiting Guest
Summer noises

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 2x4, automatic tramission with 33,000 miles. The problem is while the vehicle is sitting at a traffic light on warm days, once the light turns green and I start to accelerate there is fast clicking from the engine or transmission area. The harder I accelerate the louder and faster it becomes. This only happens during acceleration and after sitting with the a/c on in the heat (75+ degrees) at a traffic light.

On cold days there is no problems. At first I thought it was the a/c, but turned it off and the clicking still occurred. The clicking then goes away after driving a half a mile or so, or until I come up to the next stop light. This problem happened last spring but fixed itself in about a month (it never occurred again). Now that the warm weather is on its way the clicking is back. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-03, 08:22 AM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
sbb

Is this a clicking or ticking noise. If the noise goes away when you let up on the accellerator it could be spark knock (ping). You don't say what engine you have and Chrysler has a few things in their V-8 line up that cause spark knock but is usually heard all the time regardless of temp. One is 5 and 6 plug wire next to each other in the loom causing early fire on the cylinders which is easily repaired by moving those two wires to the outside of the loom.

At 33,000 if it is spark knock (ping), you could be looking at a dirty fuel system,dirty injectors, carboned intake valve and combustion chamber. As gasoline is burned the deposits form on the intake valve causing the fuel to collect on the deposits and not sprayed into the combustion chamber and also the gas is ignited by the hot carbon deposits on the piston before the spark plug fires, thus the term, pre-ignition.

***No advertising here****

Last edited by Joe_F; 03-25-03 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-25-03, 10:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster: The vehicle should be covered by the factory OEM warranty. Have the dealer investigate and should be a free repair.

OilDoc: I have asked you not once, but three times to not advertise your product on this forum. I will not ask it again. Your contributions are welcome, but your plugs for advertising are not. Kindly seek approval from the forum administrator if you wish to advertise on this site.

Old 03-25-03, 10:52 AM
sbb
Visiting Guest
In reference to the Summer Noises

The jeep has a inline 6. I have heard ping or spark knock before on other cars. The noise I here on my jeep is definitely a clicking/ticking, almost like something is hitting the cooling fan. I have looked at the Jeep's fans and they seem fine. Just yesterday it was making the noise and when I got to my driveway I opened the door, leaned out and with a foot on the brake gave it a little gas and the noise happened. Then, I put the car into park and there was no noise when I gave it gas. It really seems to me that the noise may be coming from the transmission area. Please advise as to what to do.

Old 03-25-03, 11:25 AM
Oil Doc
Visiting Guest
Joe F..

I hope you leave this up to see if anyone other than yourself agree or disagree. I am not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers here, these are just my thoughts.

I am not telling anyone to email me,call me or go to my web-site. I do not work for AMSOIL, but have sold their products and used them for almost twenty years. I do not use nor recommend all their products but if there is a specific product that may help someone, be it AMSOIL's or someone elses, I feel that I or anyone else on this forum should be able to tell these people here looking for help about it.

I have mentioned Mobil 1 and you have said nothing.. The chances of someone wanting me to ship them some oil or fuel treatment or any other products is slim seeing that they are available all over the country.

I Recommend products only when I know they perform well. After over 30 years in business for myself and taking many schools at my own expense I certainly think I am qualified to speak on what I do. If I am not sure about something I either don't post or I state right there that there may be something else.

Old 03-25-03, 11:36 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Best to keep your inquires on one post. Easier to keep track of. A 2001 with 33,000 miles??
Like Joe sez, head for the dealer before warranty is totally out. At least this way you will have a "record of the problem". If anything major turns up later on you will have a legit argument. Dont wait.