new starter,new battery, won't start

Old 03-25-03, 08:34 PM
Baldbilly
Visiting Guest
Question new starter,new battery, won't start

'96 Windstar,ford, I replaced the heads on the 3.8 v-6.My problem now is the starter engages but won't spin.I've been told it's the battery,and I just bought it.Also note the negative terminal gets warm.Any help for the sunburned guy in the driveway?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-03, 08:59 PM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
Has the van run since you replaced the heads? Check your connections. You may have a loose ground, Not tightened corectly after head install, did that once myself. If the starter is new it may be a dud, pull it & bench test it, Just about all the major parts houses will do it for free. Also try turning the engine over by hand, you may have a larger problem than you think. If it won't turn start by checking the head install, a dropped valve or bound push rod could cause this. Good luck..

Old 03-26-03, 03:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agreed. I'd say a bad starter though. If you hear it spinning and not engaging, chances are the drive on it's wasted.

Go with a Motorcraft rebuilt for best results. Aye, another 3.8 Ford gasket blower

Old 03-26-03, 04:21 PM
Jayster
Visiting Guest
Last time this happened to me, it took 2 days and a bus ride to the parts store (to test the alternator) before I figured out that corrosion had leaked down the battery cable.
Come to think about it, I'm still using the temporary terminals... better replace those cables, I guess.

Old 03-26-03, 08:36 PM
when you say engages but won't spin...

is that a whine sound like it is spinning or a Solid loud CLICK, or a series or clicking???

Those temporary terminals you were mentioning could still be jacking you over, and not getting enough juice to the starter.

When I did my 3.8L head gaskets, I remember having to remove the starter, did you bolt it in all the way???

barring that, and if it is the old starter, I would venture a guess that you have a bad connection up in the battery/terminal area

Old 03-27-03, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jeremy: Lol on the ad in your signature file. Have you tried Ebay?

No Ford part is "rare", but they are all cheap . LOL

Old 03-27-03, 06:11 PM
Joe-would you like me to remove it? I don't want to go against any rules.

I picked up another 86 mustang gt for a fun car. $550 picked my up a decent one (salvage title but good body) and a recently rebuilt engine with some racing parts, but the t-5 trans was bad.

No prob, I located-what the dude told me was a t-5 5 speed out of a wrecked 92 mustang with only 49k miles. He wanted $275. Great. I had a little left over from the sale of my tbird, and gave my father $275 to pick up the trans since he lived in the same city where the trans was.

Well, my father unknowingly came back with this boat anchor. Took me all of 1/2 a second to know it wasn't a mustang tranny. The guy is nowhere to be found. The tranny looks clean, but after much research found it was for an 89-93 tbird supercoupe 6 banger supercharged type.

Problem is I don't have one of those cars. Now I see why the guy lied to me, hardly anyone else has one of those cars too, and I am having a hell of a time selling this thing, as I am not willing to lie to some poor person and trick them into thinking it is something else. I will do this honestly.

I guess Ford has discontinued many of the internal parts. The tranny is a 5 speed built by mazda for ford. The sincros can still be bought, but have to be special ordered from japan (go figure) at $185 per sincro!!!!! There are people out there paying this !!

So, the parts inside this thing are worth their weight in gold. I found some supercoupe message boards, but nothing else has panned out yet. Now I have this POS, and need the $$$ so I can get my 5.0 going, oh well.

Sorry to hijack the thread

EDIT:::: EBAY--what a good idea!!! why didn't I think of that? Duh!

Old 03-28-03, 02:04 PM
Baldbilly
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down new problem,new starter&battery

Peoples, For two weeks I worked diligently in hopes my '96 Windstar would roll again. I DO have a bigger problem,4 out of 6 pistons are egg shaped & blue. A mechanic told me it wouldn't go 500 miles. Is it possible to bring back the dead? I don't have the funds to buy an engine,junkyards here are asking 1000 to 1200 for used.Any ideas? Thanks, Baldbilly.

Old 03-28-03, 08:12 PM
JSStarkey1
Visiting Guest
That sounds like a rebuild to me.. You may price a short block, an engine minus heads & everything else, Block, Pistons, crank, etc.. You have new heads so they should'nt need to be resurfaced or anything else. Make sure you check out the radiator & the rest of the cooling system on the van because it sounds like it got prety hot to do that kind of damage...

Old 03-29-03, 09:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The motor is wasted, rebuild time. Go with a new/rebuilt engine, used 3.8's aren't worth scrap value. It's worth it to spend the money now, if the van is worth keeping. Otherwise, put the money into something else.

Jeremy: It should sell on Ebay. Also try www.swapzone.net. (free)

I've made about $1000 on Ebay selling spare parts just given to me over the years. Stuff I no longer own, or was given to me by someone.