Squeaking drivetrain?

Old 03-27-03, 05:38 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Squeaking drivetrain?

I have a 99 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 5.2L with 74,550 miles on it. As much as I was expecting problems with this vehicle I am quite satisfied with it. Other then a $2,700 front end re-do (under warranty) no other problems. Well, the warranty will expire in about 500 miles so what better a time to roll him into the service department for a 27 point check. That is what I have done. My question though is about the drivetrain. Over the last 60 to 90 days I have heard a loud chirrping or squeaking from the drivetrain usually at 5 to 35 miles per hour. It also usually does this when it is cold or just after being started up and going. It may last 10 or 15 minutes, sometimes more. I did an experiment the other day while it was happening by coasting at 30 mph in nuetral and killing all the power. The sound remained and seemed to be proportianate with my speed. As I am sure the dealer will help, does anyone have ideas on what this may be? Brakes and rotors are fine. Someone may have mentioned a U-joint problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-03, 05:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a U-joint problem. Have the dealer check it.

It's a dangerous endeavor to conk out the motor when running like that .

Old 03-27-03, 05:44 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. Is this a big job and also, would this be something that would logically be under the warranty or do these items have a wear and tear schedule like brakes and things? The "experiment" was definitely in a "closed course" setting (VERY large parking lot to a building not yet inhabited). Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-03, 05:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I would say they should cover the U-joints.

Problem with conking out the motor like that for one thing is that you are running the tranny without lubrication (when the motor isn't running the tranny pump isn't pumping fluid)....among other problems you can cause .

Old 03-27-03, 05:48 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Great point Joe about the problems that can occur with that "experiment". Point well taken. Thanks for the feedback and I will post the outcome. Thanks

Old 03-27-03, 10:51 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Update: Dealer could not officially duplicate the problem of the squeaking drivetrain. Technician did indicate that some squeaking was due to the need for rear brake service (I don't agree but am having it done) and the belt tensioner was "stuck" in the down position which could cause slack in the belt, and perhaps squeaking. Not sure I agree with that either unless someone can tell me if the belt and pullies would be moving while the car is coasting without power. They did indicate that everything looked ok with the U-joint. By the way, the warranty does NOT cover the belt tensioner which was costed out at $202 P&L so I am not prepared to have this rectified. Thoughts? Thanks everyone.

Old 03-27-03, 12:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ask them to show you the old part and prove it is indeed stuck. Also, ask to see the old shoes or brake parts which are being changed.

The dealer should be happy to explain the charges and why the parts needed to be changed.

Old 03-27-03, 10:23 PM
I agree with Joe

Old 03-28-03, 04:58 PM
I would leave the truck at the dealership overnight and go for a ride with the technician first thing in the morning.That way he knows the noise you are concerned about.