Squeaky Subaru

Old 03-27-03, 11:33 AM
blinky2
Visiting Guest
Squeaky Subaru

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon, 4-cyl, automatic transmission. I recently had all brake pads replaced and some rust removed from the rear rotors. After about 2 weeks I noticed squeaking when applying the brakes and when driving at slow speeds (<30 mph, no brakes applied). The squeaking during no-brake periods is cyclic, rather than a constant squeak, as though something were caught up in the wheel. The squeaking during braking is identical to what happens when your pads are wearing down. I took the car back to the shop. They inspected the brakes, buffed the pads up, but otherwise found nothing stuck or wrong. The squeaking is still there.

Could this be unrelated to the brakes? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-03, 12:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Poor quality replacement parts. Replace them with quality aftermarket or Subaru OEM pads and parts and it should go away.

Old 03-27-03, 05:55 PM
Joe is right. I bought my ford thunderbird at a toyota dealership. One of the things I got them to do under warranty was the back brakes. Within a couple of weeks after they did them, I started to have problems and took it back. The pads were cracking and falling apart. I asked them why in the world it would do that, and they replied that they use GENERIC brake parts on ALL their vehicles in the repair shop. I got pissed off and talked to the general manager and got him to pay for a thorough and complete brake job at Ford using Their premium pads. The back brakes after that outlasted the car.

If you are having problems--go high up if you have to and demand the premium parts or your money back and take it into a subaru Dealer

Old 03-27-03, 10:07 PM
You could have warped rotor or drum that were fine with the old pads, but do not clear the new parts. But I agree with the other poster that your most likely problem is shabby parts.

Old 03-28-03, 05:12 AM
blinky2
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your replies. I'll take it back to the shop with this information.

Do bad brake pads squeak even when the brakes aren't applied?

The sad part is that I initially tried to get the brakes replaced at my usual Subaru dealership, but they had staffing issues (their tech just didn't show up for work one day) and couldn't get it done when I needed the car.

Old 03-28-03, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They could very well squeak like that. However, just bring it back and give them a chance to rectify it.

Old 03-28-03, 07:07 AM
blinky2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. I have an appointment to take the car back on Monday. The mechanic was polite but initially only offered to put anti-squeak compound on. I then requested Subaru pads and he said he'd be willing to get them from a dealership and install them. I'll let you know if that fixes the squeaking.

Old 04-02-03, 08:17 AM
blinky2
Visiting Guest
Update

Just an update: the auto shop replaced all brake pads with Subaru ones 2 days ago and NO MORE SQUEAKS! YAY!

Thanks for all your advice.

Old 04-02-03, 08:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job.