oxygen sensor

Old 03-27-03, 02:46 PM
oxygen sensor

Today while looking for answers to my fuel mileage problem I looked to see where the oxygen sensor was to test it. I have a used engine in the van. I discovered that where the oxygen sensor should be, the space is plugged up. I also looked up whaere the wiring should be and found that I should have a black wire going on the sensor. Can anyone tell me where this wire should be, side of the engine and if it's related to anything else. Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-03, 10:13 PM
Uhhhh……. What kind of van is it?

Old 03-28-03, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That would help. I believe from previous posts, this person has a 85 Dodge Van 318.

What year is the motor from? Is it electronically controlled like the original was?

This is why used motors are a gamble, unless you're absolutely sure what it came from!!!

Old 03-29-03, 12:12 PM
Van is an 85 Dodge B150 318. Motor is out of an 86 Dodge pickup. I have cross checked the vin and it is accurate. I have a Haynes manual for it and it shows from 85 to 87 there is some computer that controlls the oxygen sensor and I can't seem to find it. It shows on the top of the engine, where the carb is. By the way the carb is a Holley 2280. Thanks again

Old 03-29-03, 01:22 PM
Who did the engine swap?If you did you should know where the O2 sensor wire is.If you paid someone they should finish the job.The O2 sensor may be in the exhaust manifold of the old engine.I hope you reused your carb and wish you luck my freind.

Old 03-30-03, 06:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fuel, air and spark controls differ from year to year on those models, so there is a good chance that you have the wrong combination of parts. The basic block and heads are probably the same, but the engine management controls from the original 1985 motor should have been transferred to the 1986 engine, especially where #s differ.

The computer you are talking about is the spark control computer---it is in the side of the air filter housing. It must be the correct one for the vehicle.

I agree with Davo---if you paid someone to do the swap, they should have finished it properly. If you did it yourself, check your work again. There cannot be any "extra" connectors or wires---they are there for a reason!

Old 04-02-03, 10:25 AM
did the swap myself, however when I bought the van it had a dead engine and the wiring was not in place. According to my Haynes manual there shoud be a spark cantroll computer on my air filter housing and there is not. The air filter housing was reused off the dead engine. Could I have the wrong air filter housing? I have checked with a number of Dodge dealers in Texas, and they are ever nice, however there are no records for "something that old". n fact one dealer put the van up on a lift and declared I didn't have an o2 sensor and I asked if I could come look and he said ok and there it was. Thanks again

Old 04-02-03, 12:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the vehicle was bought used, it may have been gone or bypassed some time ago. To my recollection, some of these had spark control computers.

Any Chrysler dealer should have the needed parts information for you. Their computer should go back to 1985 (easily).

There should be a tag on the radiator support or firewall with a bunch of codes.

If the vehicle has NAA or NAB on the tag, it has Electronic Spark Advance.

Let us know....not all had it.

The O2 sensor required should be Chrysler #4301375.

Old 04-02-03, 03:02 PM
Does your distributer have a vacuum advance?Does your carb have wires other than possible choke related wires?I'm curious to know because this will tell me if someone deleted the factory engine control sysem and then we can go from there.BTW what is your mpg?

Old 04-04-03, 01:39 PM
Brought my van to a number of Dodge dealers, all were very helpful but none could supply me with any information pertaining to my vehicle. They all said it was too old. Anyway I cralled over, under around and through the van today and have three stickers and they are all on the underside of the hood. the vin for my van is 2b7gb13t7fk306124. Other numbers on the stickers are 5.2l fcr5.2t2bbf6, fcrtd and fcrte Also from carfax I'm the 6th owner of the van.. The carb has a vacuum advance. I have no unidentified wires on the carb, which is a Holley 2280 and it's not original although the original was also a 2280. I weigh 6020 lbs with load and I'm getting 10/11 mpg. Hope all this make sense to someone out there. Thanks all

Old 04-04-03, 02:49 PM
If you don't have wires on the carb it is not a feedback carb(not computer controlled fuel mix)also if the dist has a vacuum advance it is not computer controlled.So someone has swapped it over,I would check for a rich fuel mixture,float level,improper timing etc.You don't need an O2 sensor.11 mpg isn't that bad when you consider brand new v-8 vans get about 12 city 15 hwy.Full size vans.

Old 04-04-03, 03:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Davo:

Some export/Canada destined models have very loose if any emission controls. Could be the case here.

Only way to identify what emission package was originally in the vehicle is to check the broadcast data plate I mentioned. Make sure the vin # on this plate matches the dashboard vin.

Original poster: Do not guess. Advise if the tag I mentioned (usually on the radiator support) has the aforementioned codes or not. Tell us what you find.

Old 04-05-03, 07:05 AM
While I agree it may be an export model,if it does not have a feedback carb an O2 sensor can 't do anything anyhow.That is my point.If you want to get it back to original it will likely be a little pricey foe a 1985 van.

Old 04-05-03, 09:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True. However, since we do not have the data plate sales codes as I indicated, we are all guessing .

Old 04-07-03, 11:18 AM
Davo, thanks, you've solve my problems, no wires on the carb and vacuum advance.