Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

honda civic si - spark plugs

Visiting Guest

03-27-03, 04:05 PM   #1  
prakul
honda civic si - spark plugs

i recently changed my plugs, and i feel a little difference in idling. When i took them out again just to inspect them, i found that it had a tinge of oil deposit on it's thread. Is this a problem with the piston rings or is it natural for an 1989 civic which has done 199,000 kms.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-27-03, 04:31 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
If it idled OK before, then you may have damaged the wire when pulling them off, or maybe boot was not properly seated. Also did you use the right heat range plug, use what the manufacture recommends. Should be in your owners manual.
As far as the twinge of oil. at 199,000 this is probably normal. If in fact it is that minute. At higher speeds this would normally burn off.

03-27-03, 10:11 PM   #3  
I am guessing 199,000 kms, Is a lot of miles. I would make sure you have the correct plugs and they are gaped correctly for your application. I would not worry about a LITTLE tint on a high mileage plug.

Visiting Guest

03-28-03, 06:10 AM   #4  
Joe_F
199k is borrowed time on the motor. Just drive it as is as suggested.

I agree with the other posters on their assessment too.

Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 05:04 PM   #5  
prakul
idle speed jumping

thanks .. the car idles much better now... I've been doing some work on the engine. Cleaned out the throttle body with carb spray so i disconnected the tp sensor and covered it. Now the idling jumps from like 600 to 1000 rpm's... it keeps cycling. I tried taking it off and connecting again, then running it with the sensor disconnected. It runs fine on default mode, but the engine light comes on. Checked all the lines/hoses vacuum etc.
Can u think of anything i might have overlooked .
thanks
prakul

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 06:03 AM   #6  
Joe_F
You may have a bad TPS or a bad idle air control valve, or a vacuum leak.

What does the engine code say?

03-30-03, 09:56 PM   #7  
I agree with Joe

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 08:17 PM   #8  
prakul
other service

i checked the tp sensor..it works, but i suspect the idle air control valve as it keeps cycling high and low during idle, plus idle spped is above normal speed. Also was going to change my timing belt. Do u suggest i change the water pump as well as some people suggested that the bearing goes through a lot more stress with the new belt.
please advise..
thanks..
prakul

04-03-03, 09:02 PM   #9  
usually hondas have an airbleed screw on the throttle body most likely this has been adjusted before and when your cleaned your throttle plate it caused an increase in idle speed wich will result in surging if its over 1000 rpm the computer recognizes that the idle is to high, tightening the air bleed screw will likely bring the idle back to specifications and it will then quit surging.

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 05:33 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Did you clean the throttle body as instructed? How does the IAC test versus your service manual?

Yes, change the water pump when you do the timing belt---you'll avoid doing the job twice.

Search this Thread