Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Suspension Squeaks

Visiting Guest

03-28-03, 03:33 PM   #1  
jimmybgoode
Suspension Squeaks

1994 Eagle Talon, 2.0L, No Turbo, FWD

I replaced the outer tie rod end on the passenger side of my car the other day. The drivers side will be done next week. My problem is that ever since I relpaced it the front suspension squeaks like crazy. Every little bump I hit, I hear SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!! I can't stand it!

It never did this before I jacked it up. It's definately the front end.

The manual calls for something like 45-55 lbs/sq in for the tie rod end nut, but my torque wrench is MIA(need to have a talk with some friends). I just cranked on the ratchet until I felt it was good enough. This is not my prefered method, but had to work until I can procure another torque wrench or hopefully get mine back.

I haven't had everything aligned yet, since I will be replacing the other tie rod end next weekend. Not to mention it drives a heck of alot straighter than it did before anyways

I checked out everything while my head was in the wheel well, and the struts aren't leaking, the springs seem to be in good shape and it passes the bounce test perfectly.

What are your opinions on what is driving me nutty?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links

03-28-03, 03:58 PM   #2  
Where did you place the jack?

Visiting Guest

03-28-03, 04:24 PM   #3  
jimmybgoode
On the ground.... just kidding.

I didn't jack the bumper up or anything. I jacked it up under the car in the flat jacking spot area place near the wheel well.

Mike

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 05:39 AM   #4  
Joe_F
How do the sway bar bushing look like? Usually squeaking like that is a bushing that's wasted.

Why did you change one tie rod at a time?

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 09:34 AM   #5  
jimmybgoode
I only did the one side because I had hurt my back changing the fronts brake pads. Plus nothing is loose on the drivers side, so I figured it could wait until next week. I'll get everything aligned then too.

Have another quick question before I check the bushings...

Does anyone know of any downfall to just replacing the ball joints, and not the entire control arm+ball joint assembly, on a 1st gen DSM?

Thanks
Mike

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 12:45 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Depends on whether they are bolted in, availability of parts, and such.

Sometimes the whole arm is not that much more than just the joint .

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 07:53 PM   #7  
jimmybgoode
Check the bushings, the ones I can(couldn't check the one on the center member). They're fine as far as I can tell, but...

If I grab the wheel(while it's off the ground) and twist it side to side like the wheel is turning, it squeaks a little. That would be the stabilizer bar twisting, correct? but....

When I push down on the front corners of the car the noise seems to be coming from the struts, maybe from the upper spring seat or strut insulator. Both sides do this now, it was just the pass. side the other day.

Any thoughts?

The ball joints are pressed in. I'm sure a ball joint press would get those suckers right out.

The shop manual calls for a total control arm replacement if it needs new ball joints or bushings. I can get the balljoints for $25 ea new and the bushings are available seperately also. New control arms with new ball joints and bushings is around $200 ea.

I know the passenger side needs one soon. It has a small tear in the rubber boot that looks like it's been there for awhile.

Thanks
Mike

Search this Thread