Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine on a 92 Cougar

Visiting Guest

03-28-03, 06:06 PM   #1  
CM Wendell
engine on a 92 Cougar

about a month ago my car started to make a very loud annoying ticking sound. my girlfriends father said it was the oil lifter valves and they were stuck. well i was on my way to get my paycheck, and my car made a loud boom sound and a lot of smoke came out of my tailpipe. i had to get it towed to a garage, they never did look at it, and now its sitting in front of my house. i looked under the hood and there is still plenty of oil in my engine, i know the headgasket didnt blow because there was nothing icky on the dipstick. also, i still have all my radiator fluid, and i took of the top of the distributor to see if it sparks and it sparks good and all but it just doesnt turn over. any suggestions on what in the hell could be wrong with it ? the car is a 92 mercury cougar, 3.8 v6, with 115k on it. any replies would be greatly appreciated. i am stumped as to what can be wrong with this car. thanks everybody.

Wendell

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-28-03, 06:22 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Sounds like it could have possibly jumped time on ya.

MI

03-29-03, 09:38 AM   #3  
Does the engine turn by hand?... That is, if you put a wrench on the dampner bolt.

Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 09:41 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Do you have fuel pressure? Start with my "The Basics" post below.

Search this Thread