Alternator of 1985 Honda Accord

Old 03-29-03, 08:37 AM
epenterprises
Visiting Guest
Alternator of 1985 Honda Accord

I am trying to remove the long alternator mounting bolt on my 1985 Honda Accord. I have applyed WD-40 generously, taken off the nut and have moved the alternator back and forth but the bolt does not want to side out. Have wacked the tip of the bolt with a piece of wood to protect damaging the bolt, but it still does not want to move. Space to work on the alternator is VERY LIMITED. I know that the alternator became very hot right before it died.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-03, 09:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try heating the bolt a bit. It's probably wasted and you're going to have to change it anyhow. Japanese hardware is made of gum and seizes when it gets old

Old 03-29-03, 11:12 AM
epenterprises
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Was going to do that, but someone told me to be careful because the alternator is made out of aluminum an I could begin to melt things and that would make matters worst.

Old 03-30-03, 06:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure. You don't want to burn any wiring .

If you have acccess to air tools that might help bust the stubborn bolt loose.

Old 03-30-03, 07:44 AM
epenterprises
Visiting Guest
I'm not worrying about burning any wiring. They were suggesting that I can melt the alternator housing to the bolt and bracket. Is this even possible??

Old 03-30-03, 12:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. If need be, just get another one from a similar Accord in the junkyard.