Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Alternator of 1985 Honda Accord

Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 08:37 AM   #1  
epenterprises
Alternator of 1985 Honda Accord

I am trying to remove the long alternator mounting bolt on my 1985 Honda Accord. I have applyed WD-40 generously, taken off the nut and have moved the alternator back and forth but the bolt does not want to side out. Have wacked the tip of the bolt with a piece of wood to protect damaging the bolt, but it still does not want to move. Space to work on the alternator is VERY LIMITED. I know that the alternator became very hot right before it died.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 09:36 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Try heating the bolt a bit. It's probably wasted and you're going to have to change it anyhow. Japanese hardware is made of gum and seizes when it gets old

Visiting Guest

03-29-03, 11:12 AM   #3  
epenterprises
Thanks. Was going to do that, but someone told me to be careful because the alternator is made out of aluminum an I could begin to melt things and that would make matters worst.

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 06:11 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure. You don't want to burn any wiring .

If you have acccess to air tools that might help bust the stubborn bolt loose.

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 07:44 AM   #5  
epenterprises
I'm not worrying about burning any wiring. They were suggesting that I can melt the alternator housing to the bolt and bracket. Is this even possible??

Visiting Guest

03-30-03, 12:35 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. If need be, just get another one from a similar Accord in the junkyard.

Search this Thread