Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wheel hub bearing shot?

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 08:16 AM   #1  
Ednerd
wheel hub bearing shot?

I just replaced the left and right drive shafts on my 92 Dodge Caravan (3.0 w/ 3-sp auto; 184K miles). When I removed the left side, the wheel hub easily came out of the bearing in the steering knuckle. I could reinstall it, but it didn't require any force, and came back out easily.

Now I'm concerned that the only thing holding my wheel on is the brake calipers on the rotor, and whatever is holding the driveshaft in the tranny!

Do I need to be worried? Should I immediately get a new hub and bearing? Or is this fairly normal and no cause for concern?

Ed

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 08:40 AM   #2  
Joe_F
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you stating that the wheel bearing/hub falls out of the knuckle?

03-31-03, 09:14 AM   #3  
I am not sure I under stand either, but if you are saying it just pulls out it should not, there should be a cotter pin and a lock spring, you might also have broke the snap ring on the diffental end if you did not remove it before pulling the half shaft

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 09:33 AM   #4  
Ednerd
Sorry for being unclear. The left drive shaft went into the tranny okay, and locked in place. Everything went together fine. There is a nut securing the hub onto the shaft, secured with a wave washer, nut cover, and cotter pin. I drove the vehicle to work today - no vibrations, clunks, shimmies, hot metal smells, grinding rock noises, etc.

My concern was that the hub, to which the wheel is bolted, is secured to the drive shaft by the nut, and the drive shaft is "locked" into the transmission. The steering knuckle is secured to the A-arm and the strut. But what's holding the hub into the knuckle? Shouldn't it be the bearing? If the hub, which is the inner race to the bearing, pulls free of the bearing balls, then are my brake cliper and pads the only thing besides the drvie shaft nut holding my wheel on?

Ed

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 11:46 AM   #5  
Joe_F
The hub and bearing are pressed into the knuckle. It's like that on most front drivers.

Does that answer the question?

Search this Thread