91 chevy lumina euro oil leak 3.1 litre 130K

Old 03-31-03, 01:29 PM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
Question 91 chevy lumina euro oil leak 3.1 litre 130K

I posted a question earlier about my oil leak and users responded with a plug where the distributor used to be just behind the throttle body is probably my problem. I decreased the engine real well and i can't see any oil around the plug. Could it be leaking when the car isparked on an incline verses a flat surface or could the leak be coming from somewhere else. It leaves sizable poddles on the drive way.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-03, 02:19 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Can't see where a slight incline would make any difference. Try degreasing the pan good. Drive it a couple days, then check pan gasket area. Seems they have had a few problems in that area.
An oil leak of that size should not be that difficult to find. However sometime a VC gasket leak can be a little hard to pin point. I would double check that area also.

Old 04-01-03, 03:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Darrell.

Old 04-02-03, 10:05 AM
There is another notorious leak spot on the 3.1.

The intake manifold gasket.

It would seem to me, also, that if you have degreased the engine, then you won't see the oil that leaked out before you cleaned it.

If the o-ring has never been replaced in the old distributor plug, it's probably leaking from there. I fixed my 3.1's plug with some silicone gasket maker. No more leak.

I did have to remove the throttle body to get the plug all the way out (it's longer than you'd think).

Good luck.

Old 04-02-03, 03:39 PM
Gomer-techimo
Visiting Guest
I am probably going to tackle this repair on my 3.1 this weekend (distributor plug)... any other pointers or pifalls I should be aware of with this? It seems pretty straightforward

Old 04-03-03, 05:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree.

Old 04-03-03, 04:34 PM
The part is the oil pump drive and I suggest replacing the o-ring because you have oil pressure there and it has been updated by GM.Some require removal of the intake plenum which would require extra gaskets other than just the o-ring and t body gasket.