Check Engine Is On Again

Old 03-31-03, 02:23 PM
BUBBA 1
Visiting Guest
Check Engine Is On Again

Have 1996 Thunderbird,3.8 automatic. Well fellas the check engine light is on again, same code comes up 0172, which says right bank running to rich.Have changed oxigen sensors,cooling temperature sensor and the one that goes to the computer.Completely tuned the car up,have had it to the Ford dealership and they still don't know what is wrong.Have re-set the computer with the OBD2 tester,the light stays off for 2 to 4 hundred miles then the light comes back on again.The only thing that I have noticed is the temperature gauge looks like it is running cool. When I say cool it only comes up to the letter N on normal could the thermostat which is the factory thermostat is it possible for it to be running to cool? I need help on this!!! Its dricving me nuts and I am already crazy. Ha Ha Thanks fellas!!! Get back to me when you can............BUBBA

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-03, 02:40 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
possibly the thermostat. If the engine runs cold it will affect mixture on these new veh's. 5 bucks for a DIY'r, I would chance it. If it runs cold it needs changed.

Old 03-31-03, 03:52 PM
BUBBA 1
Visiting Guest
ENGINE LIGHT ON AGAIN

Ok Darrell, its not running cold have plenty of heat, thermostat is opening and closing but as far as the gauge goes it is on cool side.Oh by the way what is DIY'r? This is a new one on me. Thanks BUBBA

Old 03-31-03, 04:23 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
I had one doing the same thing. It ended up being a mass airflow sensor. Probably should get a Ford dealership to check it out with their scan tool.

Old 04-01-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Change the thermostat with an OEM one and flush the cooling system. Give it a whirl and see if the light stays off.

DIY'er=Do It Yourselfer.

Old 04-01-03, 03:31 PM
If only one bank(the right)is affected I would remove the fuel rail with injectors attached.Then I would disconnect the injector connecters and crank the engine and see if fuel leaks from an injector.If it does you found your problem.A thermostat should affect both banks.I would also look at the fuel pressure regulator if the vacuum source to it comes from the right side of the intake or plenum.

Old 04-02-03, 03:00 PM
BUBBA 1
Visiting Guest
on way!!!!!!

do you know what thay wone for a mass airflow sensor $225.00 for a new one or $125.00 with the old one. ha ha ha no wayyyyyyyyyy i need just a sensor not a new car haha thank to you all for your help be good or be good at it bubba

Old 04-03-03, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
125 is pretty reasonable for a MAF.

Newer cars=expensive parts.

Old cars=Less trouble, easier to fix, dirt cheap parts .