Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Alternater Belts?

PA

03-31-03, 02:26 PM   #1  
Alternater Belts?

Hello Everyone: I took my 1991 Plymouth Acclaim (4 cyl) in to the shop and had The two Belts Replaced because the old ones were slipping and cracked, now after (and not before) he replaced the belts, i get this "Snapping Noise" for about one minute after starting the car up,direction of the belts (alternator)! (but not when it is warmed up )What could be causing this, is there not enough play in the belts (there is almost none at all)! Any ideas, that might help, please let me know, Thanks Tom

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 04:49 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
I would say 1/2" deflection on belt tension would be about right.
Check pulley alignment and was correct belt used? Also was a good quality belt used?

PA

03-31-03, 04:59 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
There is hardly any flex to either belt and definitly not 1/2 inch, the correct belts were used. is it possible for me to check the alighnment myself. i am suppose to take it back wednesday, but i dont think this guy knows what he is doing, unless he did it on purpose to get me to pay more! Is it possible that driving with the old belts being bad, wore down the bearings somewhat and when he put on the new belts, the worn bearings started making this noise?

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 05:34 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
It is not hard to visually check the alignment. Also eyeball pulleys and make sure no part of them are missing or bent. I dont believe the old belts would have anything to do with bearing wear. What is hard on bearings is overtightening the belts. Again use a quality name brand belt. Unlikely, but perhaps you have a bad new belt.

PA

03-31-03, 05:49 PM   #5  
What is hard on bearings is overtightening the belts. This is what i think is the matter, i was standing right next to him when he put them on and he never checked for 1/2 inch play! if i knew how many of those bolts i had to loosen, i would do it myself!

Visiting Guest

04-01-03, 03:37 AM   #6  
Joe_F
The noise may have nothing to do with the belts being changed. Give the shop a chance to hear the noise and offer the possible corrective action.

PA

04-01-03, 03:53 AM   #7  
You maybe right, but it is too much of a coinsidence that it started immediately after installing the belts, the belts seem extremely tight (no play)!

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 06:11 PM   #8  
short_circutz
Personally, I'd say it's an overtightented belt.

And as an added note...not only could an overtight belt damage bearings, a loose belt that is slipping all the time could cause bearings to overheat.

PA

04-02-03, 06:17 PM   #9  
Just what i was thinking too, so i asked someone (has some experience with this) to loosen the belts, i drove it home ok, but i really won't know til morning (when its cold) if it worked or not! Will let all know tomorrow, Thanks, Tom

Search this Thread