Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Outside Tie Rod end needs to be replaced on my 88 Ford Crown Vic someone help

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 08:18 PM   #1  
PrincessOfTools
Outside Tie Rod end needs to be replaced on my 88 Ford Crown Vic someone help

I have an 88 Ford crown Victoria Ltd 4 door 302 engine rear wheel drive. The outside tie rod end on the passanger side needs to be replaced can anyone point me in a direction on what to do and how to avoid common mistakes, any help will be appericated.

Sponsored Links

03-31-03, 08:34 PM   #2  
A lot of times the bolts have to be drilled out on older cars. You might be able to get it out with a cheater, other than that itís pretty sight forward. On some tire rods you have to have a fork to seperate the joint, but I am not sure if yours requires this.

Visiting Guest

04-01-03, 03:23 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Common mistake: Only changing the one bad part.
Common outcome: Bad news.

Change both inner and outer rods and sleeves. Using the old ones as guides, make up the new ones the same way. Then, get the vehicle aligned professionally immediately after the work.

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 06:17 PM   #4  
short_circutz
I've always been successful removing tie rods from older vehicles with a puller rather than the "fork"...some parts stores have a "borrow a tool" program.....

04-02-03, 06:55 PM   #5  
I will try that, i am allways looking for more ways to do the same thing.

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 03:34 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Yes, either way will work. Sometimes just tapping the shaft with a lump hammer causes it to plop right out .

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 06:10 PM   #7  
PrincessOfTools
Thanks to everyone I removed it and replaced it. Took it for an alignment and now it runs great. Thanks for your help

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 05:34 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Good job.

Search this Thread