Question about ABS

Old 04-01-03, 08:54 AM
Question about ABS

i have a 98 Chev Cavalier and i'm kinda new to vehicles with ABS.

we had some snow this am and when i hit the brakes the ABS makes sort of a loud Thumpa Thumpa sound , on our 95 Astro the Abs makes sort of a loud Whirrrr sound ,, the Cav is new to us so i'm just wondering if the Thumpa sound is normal for this vehicle.

thank you and i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 09:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's probably the sound of the ABS modulator activating.

Old 04-01-03, 09:12 AM
thanks for the response Joe, like i said the noise from the Cav is soooo much different than the Astro that i was wondering whether there was something wrong with it.

Is it normal that in the snow when the abs kicks in that the car shakes?? it stops straight and true , it's just the noise that concerned me.

Old 04-01-03, 09:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on where the shake is coming from and how bad. If you're in doubt, have it looked at professionally, as brakes are not something to gamble with.

Old 04-01-03, 09:20 AM
the "shake" is only when the abs engages , other than that on dry or wet roads it stops with no sounds , shudder , basically the way it should , i know the Astro "shakes" a bit when the abs engages as well but it's just the difference in sound when the abs engages between the two vehicles that had me wondering.

Old 04-02-03, 10:09 AM
ABS on different vehicles sound different. I've had smooth abs and I've had abs that makes the whole car herky-jerk to a stop.

It sounds normal to me, friend.

There are quite a few different types of abs even. They're all bound to sound different.

The abs on my caravan is terrible. It works great, but sounds like someone's hitting the van with a sledge hammer every time the brakes pump.