Wiper arm removal

Old 04-01-03, 09:16 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Wiper arm removal

I have a 1988 Chevy S-10 4x4 pickup with a 263 and intermitant wipers. Yesterday morning, the windshield wipers on my truck quit working. I have the factory service manual which has troubleshooting techniques, etc. However, what the manual does not have is R&R procedures for the wiper arms, which have to be removed to access the wiper motor. All the book says is to use a special GM tool that I don't have access to. Looking at the wiper from inside the truck, there appears to be a metal tab on the wiper arm next to the spindle. There is a lot of scoring on this tab, so I am fairly certain that I either have to depress or lift this tab to remove the wiper arm. Am I on the right path here?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 10:16 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
For best results you really need the removal tool. Try to rent one from the zone as these tools are about 20 bucks.

Old 04-01-03, 10:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. I have taken them off by swinging out that little tab you describe which unlocks it from the shaft.

But, I do agree with Darrell.

Old 04-02-03, 04:05 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
AZ did not have the GM tool, but one of the salesmen suggested that I use a bent awl, which they happened to have in stock as part of a set (how convenient). The awl worked with a little bit of finagling. Once I could see everything, I decided to try the wipers again to see if I could see anything binding. After all that work, the wiper motor started first try and everything was moving the way it should . I guess there was ice on the armature or somehing like that. The wipers worked fine, once I put everything back together.

I still have a slight problem. The windshield spritzer had been acting up, so I decided to clean the system since I had everything apart. There are no obstructions in the hose or nozzle, and it looks like I have good pressure in the
hose. However, once I reconnect the hose to the nozzle, all I get is a few drips. I am assuming this means that either my pump is dying, or that there is an obstruction in the nozzle that a paperclip and canned air can't clear. Any ideas?

Old 04-02-03, 06:22 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Take the main output hose off and try the washer motor. If it does not work, it is wiped. A good cleaning tool for wiper nozzles is a welders tip cleaner. I have used a strand off a wire brush and needle nose pliers.

Old 04-02-03, 08:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Also, wax and dirt build up in the nozzles over time.

If nothing else, replace the nozzles, they are cheap from GM.