Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tercel back end wobble

04-02-03, 09:50 AM   #1  
Tercel back end wobble

I have a 94 toyota tercel 2 dr sedan 4spd w. 120k miles(wicked economy vehicle) and it began to wobble in the back end. When starting off at a low speed to around 25mph, the back end seems to wobble back sideto side and is proportional to speed. Around turns (in similar speed range), it appears to wobble more. At high speeds i can not exactly feel a wobble but maybe a harsher ride.

I disengaged the e-brake and pushed side to side on the wheel upper portion to look for a failing wheel bearing but heard no klunking nor excessive side to side travel. The passenger rear tire may be work a bit funny (almost scalloped on alternating treads). Its not very apparent but is there. Also, I have different tire brands on each side of the rear.

I know I need to replace the tires and they are cheap 155x80x13 but what is causing the shimmy and the tire wear? Peace: e3

Sponsored Links

04-02-03, 11:22 AM   #2  
It sounds like a bad tire thread. Try to change the wobbling wheel with your spare. If it goes away you found your problem.
I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

OM

04-02-03, 11:29 AM   #3  
Thanks. I planned on changing the fronts and rears and test it, but sadly enough I did not even think of the spare to test the theory. I think I am drainbamaged. I will keep you posted.

I am also not very suspension "learned". I am mostly engines and performance. So, my other questions is: If i push down on the rear trunk and watch the response of the shocks, is it fine if they go down, and come up in a pretty fluid motion and NO bounce? Plus each side appears to need the same pressure to compress and rebound. Its a small car and does not take much to compress them though. Peace: e3

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 12:23 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Sounds like a wasted tire, replace it. Start there.

TX

04-02-03, 03:26 PM   #5  
also my 2 cents

Great little car I would get the new tires and since it has such high mileage I would throw in a rear set of shocks.Why not change them anyway they are cheap.and while you are down there replacing the shocks you can look around and check things out.

04-07-03, 09:47 AM   #6  
All: Thanks for the help. I replaced the rear tires with some new ones (cheap as heck because of 155/80/13 size) and the wobble went away. the shop and I were talking and we agreed it was probably a broken tire belt causing a lateral "slip" in traction.

I also went to CAP and bought 2 new rear struts, borrowed the spring compressor and had new stuts in the car and torqued to spec in under 2 hours. i would have paid over $120 for labor alone and 2x the cost of the struts. Saved over 200 bones with the DIY method. That makes me happy.

Car ides NICE now. Not a sports car but good for commuting.

Thanks for the help and I just wanted to post to update the results. peace: e3 - spamman

04-07-03, 10:12 AM   #7  
Thanks for letting us know whats the fix.

Otto

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 10:17 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Good job.!

Search this Thread