Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 buick limited cutting out

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 01:55 PM   #1  
good mojo
97 buick limited cutting out

I recently purchased a 97 Buick Limited with the 3800 motor. Several times it has just died on me acted like no fuel. After 20 minutes or so it started right up and the tow truck driver followed me home. I replaced the fuel filter. Now sometimes it seems like it is missing and when going uphill it will buck. Any clues as to where to start and possible causes.

Good Mojo

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 02:15 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
start with fuel pump pressure. Could be fuel pump. I have seen a few of these have plug wire problems also.

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 02:22 PM   #3  
good mojo
I noticed when I changed the fuel filter there was quite a bit of pressure coming from the engine direction when I disconnected the old filter. Why would a plug wire fail going uphill. How do it know?

GM

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 02:45 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
My advice would be take it to dealer or place of your choice and see if they can get a code reading. From your description I believe it should have set a code. Last time my GMC acted up, they read the code in 5 minutes and had me on the way in no time at all. Worth the half hour $ to have it checked. Lot less hassle. Trial and error on newer cars can be a lot more expensive.

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 02:47 PM   #5  
good mojo
Sounds good to me. Will give it a go.

GM

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 03:29 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Start with my "The Basics" below.

I assume you mean a LeSabre "Limited". Limited is just a trim line in Buick, not a proper model.

04-03-03, 05:04 PM   #7  
Pull the plug wires off the coils and look for corrosion if there is replace the coil and affected wires.Also remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and tap it lightly on top with a scewdriver handle and see if fuel comes out.If it does replace it also.

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 07:29 AM   #8  
good mojo
I replaced the plugs and wires and it seems to have done the trick. The check engine light even went out. Thanks for the reply.

GM

Visiting Guest

04-04-03, 11:10 AM   #9  
darrell McCoy
Good job, glad it was an inexpensive quick fix.

Visiting Guest

04-16-03, 01:34 PM   #10  
good mojo
Davo, the cutting out has quit now back to the dying. Where is the fuel pressure regulator located?

GM

Visiting Guest

04-17-03, 06:54 AM   #11  
Joe_F
See autolibrary.org & the link I have below. It's on the top on the fuel rail.

Visiting Guest

04-17-03, 07:29 AM   #12  
good mojo
I found it. There is fuel released when I push the fuel valve, also no fuel comes out when I remove the vacuum line and tap it with a screwdriver.

I was also told it could be the fuel pump relay. I purchased the relay, but when I look under the relay panel I don't see a similar relay. I drove to work today 35 miles and it ran fine. One other symptom I had last night with the car in park, I could rev the engine and at about 4000 rpm it would waver and not go any higher.

GM

04-18-03, 02:17 PM   #13  
The relay is under the right side of the dash in the relay center.The car will not rev past 4000 rpms in park because it is made that way.

Visiting Guest

04-19-03, 03:45 AM   #14  
Joe_F
Agreed. Aye, there is no need to spool the engine to 4k to see if it evens out

The 3.8's lower end is like gum. LOL.

Search this Thread