Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1982 Chevrolet Caprice

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 04:59 PM   #1  
Legion1
1982 Chevrolet Caprice

1982 Chevrolet Caprice. 4 door model, old squad car, 305 V8, automatic transmission.

Whenever my dad starts his car it idles very high, like you have the pedal about 1/4 way down. Soon as the car warms up, it returns to normal. He thinks it may be something with a computer, but isnt sure. He has checked the carbuerator out and nothing is sticking etc. It takes maybe 5 minutes of a very high idle and then it resumes normal idleing. Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links

04-02-03, 05:30 PM   #2  
when the engine is cold the choke engages which will give you a faster idle there is an adjustment screw for the fast idle speed and it can be lowered if it is to high the screw is on the passenger side of the carb near the base of the carb.

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 03:24 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with BeJay.

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 11:40 AM   #4  
Legion1
Thank you.

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 01:45 PM   #5  
darrell McCoy
Been a while but if the choke is one of those elec type, maybe resistor mechanism in side cap is wasted.

Visiting Guest

04-09-03, 01:47 PM   #6  
Legion1
Thanx Darrell, I just was trying the other ideas and noticed it doesn't have the screw on the passenger side. It has a black box with 3 wires coming out of it. Do you think this may be the problem if so, what would be a way to test or fix it?

Visiting Guest

04-09-03, 04:02 PM   #7  
darrell McCoy
scroll up to Joe's post. Re: cyberparts listing. Look and see if you can perhaps find a picture of what type carb you are dealing with.

Visiting Guest

04-10-03, 05:54 AM   #8  
Joe_F
This year Q-jet should have an electric choke.

Original poster: Post the carburetor # and I'll tell you what you have. It is stamped vertically on the left side of the float bowl and starts with 1708 or 1711.

Search this Thread